Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 220
  1. #191
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Trucker?
    7 Years
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked: 613 Times
    When I got my authority I was bombarded with calls and emails from JB Hunt. Their pay was almost what I was making at CR England leased to them. No thanks.

    Plus, dry van is not really where the money is in a lot of places. Generally, if it can be hauled in a dry box, it can be hauled on a train. Reefer is more specialized in that rail transit isn't as precise and quick.



    If you've taken the leap to get your own authority, run your own business. Start looking at the load boards. Start making some contacts with brokers. I've been driving less than two months and have gotten a good relationship with one broker and am getting some very favorable loads that are there every week for me.

    The money's out there if you want to do the phone calls. It's not easy. The first few weeks, you seem to do more calling than driving at times. But, it starts to pay off.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sly Fox For This Useful Post:


  3. #192
    Road Train Member rollin coal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    TN
    Trucker?
    13 Years
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,170
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked: 4,423 Times
    Money is out there in dry box land too, you just have to figure it out. Easier said than done. My experience with what loads I have checked on from JB Hunt is that I will never get my rate from those guys, Schneider is the same way. Guess I will keep working with the brokers I've established with along with Cheap n Heavy Robingsome, and "Landstarve" (pulling the freight that is apparently garbage and no self respecting BCO would do) and making 2$+ on the hub miles...

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to rollin coal For This Useful Post:


  5. #193
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Posts
    4,439
    Thanks
    3,423
    Thanked: 3,992 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    If they knew the truth

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBadBill For This Useful Post:


  7. #194
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Trucker?
    Trucker's Significant Other
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    My husband started with them on Thursday. On Friday he had to DH 60 miles to get a trailer then go another 90 miles to load. On top of that they gave him a Monday 4:00 load only to find out it was for 4 p.m. and was only 600 miles away. He called the company that he delivered to and asked if they would take the load early. They said no problem any time after 7 p.m. on Sunday. He delivered at Midnight and was ready to reload 1st thing on Monday. They are now making him wait until 9p.m. Monday to reload and has to wait for an appointment to be set up to deliver tomorrow. On top of this he will probably have to wait until Wednesday night before he can get loaded again. What a joke. Don't think we will be doing this any more. He can work the way he wants using the load boards and just rent a trailer for 150/month.... pay per week will be much better.

    Both loads are HEAVY and looking at their load visiblity board all the loads near him appear to be HEAVY. We saw some JB loads on the load boards and they are 25k & 35K. I guess they want the power carriers to haul the "junk" loads.

    Pay card and fast pay options are only good thing we have seen so far.

  8. #195
    Medium Load Member FREEBRD's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lafollette tn
    Trucker?
    9 Years
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked: 116 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbill View Post
    if they knew the truth
    we cant handle the truth bill!!lol!!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to FREEBRD For This Useful Post:


  10. #196
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Trucker?
    6 Years
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked: 130 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by drafting1442 View Post
    My husband started with them on Thursday. On Friday he had to DH 60 miles to get a trailer then go another 90 miles to load. On top of that they gave him a Monday 4:00 load only to find out it was for 4 p.m. and was only 600 miles away. He called the company that he delivered to and asked if they would take the load early. They said no problem any time after 7 p.m. on Sunday. He delivered at Midnight and was ready to reload 1st thing on Monday. They are now making him wait until 9p.m. Monday to reload and has to wait for an appointment to be set up to deliver tomorrow. On top of this he will probably have to wait until Wednesday night before he can get loaded again. What a joke. Don't think we will be doing this any more. He can work the way he wants using the load boards and just rent a trailer for 150/month.... pay per week will be much better.

    Both loads are HEAVY and looking at their load visiblity board all the loads near him appear to be HEAVY. We saw some JB loads on the load boards and they are 25k & 35K. I guess they want the power carriers to haul the "junk" loads.

    Pay card and fast pay options are only good thing we have seen so far.
    Welcome to trucking....... None of what you said is out of the ordinary and he will still have appointment times, deadhead, and lots of waiting using loadboards.......

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to HDFatboy For This Useful Post:


  12. #197
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Trucker?
    7 Years
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked: 17 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanadarko View Post
    JBH is $5/run for trailer insurance. (not per day). My policy covers a "non-owned" trailer though just fine and Progressive won't even waive trailer coverage when you don't own a trailer. I am forced to carry it from them-

    Thanks for the info..
    What are they charging you for the year, for insurance??

  13. #198
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Trucker?
    7 Years
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked: 17 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin coal View Post
    Money is out there in dry box land too, you just have to figure it out. Easier said than done. My experience with what loads I have checked on from JB Hunt is that I will never get my rate from those guys, Schneider is the same way. Guess I will keep working with the brokers I've established with along with Cheap n Heavy Robingsome, and "Landstarve" (pulling the freight that is apparently garbage and no self respecting BCO would do) and making 2$+ on the hub miles...
    Could you give some of the example of these loads you do, miles, rate and area and direction etc

  14. #199
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Trucker?
    Trucker's Significant Other
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    @ HDFatboy
    We know there are DH miles and waiting times, but with JBH it is more extreme. It is a joke to have to wait 18hrs before they get you reloaded when there are more of their own loads close by. The thing we have noticed is their light loads are shown on an external load board but not offered on the load visiblity board.

    We can plan about 3 days (or more) worth of loads and have it set up to run comfortable and stay busy. Not much sitting time in-between and still make the 1.65-2.00+ per mile that he would make with JB. The only added expense is a trailer and you can rent one of those pretty cheap around home. He did this for years for his mom and she made more money than with the company dispatcher finding her loads.

  15. #200
    Road Train Member rollin coal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    TN
    Trucker?
    13 Years
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,170
    Thanks
    1,933
    Thanked: 4,423 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by atrucker View Post
    Could you give some of the example of these loads you do, miles, rate and area and direction etc
    Why would I do that? You think somebody told me?

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rollin coal For This Useful Post:


Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •