Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 120
  1. #81
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked: 422 Times
    The 102 whip can be had new from Radio Shack for $21. It's part number 21-903.

    You'll also need the pot belly barrel spring to run with it to make it a true 1/4 wave for CB use. It's p/n 21-1118 and runs $17.



    A good mount is required.

    Yes you will need to at best, check the SWR to ensure it's on, but usually there's no cutting of the whip involved to make it work on CB.

    If you'd rather have a 1 piece set up, MFJ sells a 108 whip that is every bit as good as the 102 but doesn't require a spring. It is adjustable if you want/need to but you shouldn't. It's part no. MFJ-1966 and runs $26 plus another 14 or so to ship it.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo-T For This Useful Post:


  3. #82
    Light Load Member Rob G's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Age
    48
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked: 24 Times
    I agree with RAT. I don't agree with the VHF thing. I have a Connex 3300 HP with a Wilson 2000 and an Astatic 636L that puts out 60 Watts and on a good day I can get out about 10 to 14 miles. I never change bands and it almost always stays on 19 unless for some reason I feel I need to change the tuning and then I'll go to a clear channel so I don't interrupt anyone. Usually somewhere between 23 and 40. I don't need to get out 2 counties away or come across peoples toasters and televisions. I don't cuss and rant and rave or tell people "I don't have any panties on" or try to sell "highspeed chicken feed" or try to be a D.J. either. I think it's a control thing when it gets right down to it. I can see the legal aspects as far as the other bands, in particular, any kind of emergency situations. But channel 19 is what it is, and has been for a long time and it doesn't interfere with any of that. If they did like RAT said and opened up the wattage range for 11 meters then the whole issue would be over.






    You know you've been on the road too long when your cell phone rings and you answer the C.B.

  4. #83
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seminole Florida
    Trucker?
    No
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    177
    Thanked: 474 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
    I agree with RAT. I don't agree with the VHF thing. I have a Connex 3300 HP with a Wilson 2000 and an Astatic 636L that puts out 60 Watts and on a good day I can get out about 10 to 14 miles. I never change bands and it almost always stays on 19 unless for some reason I feel I need to change the tuning and then I'll go to a clear channel so I don't interrupt anyone. Usually somewhere between 23 and 40. I don't need to get out 2 counties away or come across peoples toasters and televisions. I don't cuss and rant and rave or tell people "I don't have any panties on" or try to sell "highspeed chicken feed" or try to be a D.J. either. I think it's a control thing when it gets right down to it. I can see the legal aspects as far as the other bands, in particular, any kind of emergency situations. But channel 19 is what it is, and has been for a long time and it doesn't interfere with any of that. If they did like RAT said and opened up the wattage range for 11 meters then the whole issue would be over.






    You know you've been on the road too long when your cell phone rings and you answer the C.B.


    Rob .....

    11 Meters ( 27 MHz ) is the WRONG place for a band for truckers or anyone else wanting to work point to point ..... It is a DX band. TRUCKERS need a band that would have long range with reduced interference like the 30-50 MHz VHF band or even like Canada has a road band at 151 MHz for truckers and cars

    Rat has some very good points and I respect him for that He knows I PERSONLY do not oppose changes for CB but do not see any grounds for the FCC to do that.

    The things that come up all the time are .....

    MORE POWER .....

    Well 11 meters is a band like 10 meters where power gets you into trouble
    It is a fact that you can work the world from your car with just a few watts.
    I work FM ( 29.600 ) all the time and have Germany confirmed with 4 watts in my car.

    MORE CHANNELS.....

    The problem is from who do you take them 25 28 mhz
    Is packed with all kinds of land mobile stuff honestly some is not used
    And could be game.

    NEW MODES ....

    Like FM PSK-31 or digital now THERE is a place the FCC should be looking at.
    Im a big FM fan once you run it and do it right it is a VERY good way to go in the noisey World of cars and trucks.

    So If anyone has ideas summit them to the FCC you never know they might
    Have taken some good drugs that morning

  5. #84
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    66
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 175 Times
    The problem is from who do you take them 25 28 mhz
    Is packed with all kinds of land mobile stuff honestly some is not used
    And could be game. (quote)

    Um, no. The problem is, many of these frequencies, especially below 27 MHZ, are not governed by FCC, but by NTIA. NTIA kinda "trumps" FCC when it comes to government and military comms. Whether they "use" them or not, they are NOT going to give them up!

    The problem with CB is its lack of discipline and its 'outlaw' mentality which makes things worse, not better. The key would be better utilization of the frequencies CB already has. Actually, 40 channels isn't all that bad IF they were used correctly and there were some sort of way to govern it better---which FCC has abdicated responsibility for.

    Power is NOT the do-all, be-all of radio. If it weren't for the hash and trash and people doing their best to talk OVER each other, it would work far better with the power it has. People used to stand by for each other and help others get their message thru--even relaying messages in a somwhat orderly fashion. This was replaced with the ME FIRST mentality where there is some sort of perverse glory from cutting each other out. Really, it seems to be a foolish replacement for a certain anatomical deficiency "enhancement" medicines can't help! Actually, pure RF power is an overall hindrance in the hands of people who have no practical experience in how and when to use it. This is the "F'ar in th' w'ar", all controls to the right, pedal to the metal attitude that seems to accrue to CB radio! Unbridled power only does one thing: create interference to other users. No harm on CB? Not true. Most CB amps (illegal for a good reason) have little or NO filtering which creates spurious signals not only on 27 MHZ, but on multiple frequencies up and down the line. The second harmonic of 27 MHZ is 54 MHZ--right in the amateur 6 Meter band! 4x= 108 MHZ and above---right in the aviation band. And there's the adjacent 10 Meter band where bootleg amps create interference to nearby hams with splatter from overdriven, unfiltered amps.

    The most likely candidate for a "new" CB would be VHF! It has MANY advantages. Once you got it you would wonder what took so long. It is so much better.

    CB is not going to get more "channels", it isn't going to get more power. The users themselves, for the most part, killed that themselves by proving they would abuse it! Just the way 'tis.

    GF

  6. #85
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seminole Florida
    Trucker?
    No
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    177
    Thanked: 474 Times
    Canada did the right thing 150 MHZ range and 30 watts for trucks would give good range for a average trucker......

  7. #86
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked: 422 Times
    Funny thing is CB was alloted extra channels...back on Jan 1 1977. You don't think people were abusing it then?

  8. #87
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seminole Florida
    Trucker?
    No
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,338
    Thanks
    177
    Thanked: 474 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-T View Post
    Funny thing is CB was alloted extra channels...back on Jan 1 1977. You don't think people were abusing it then?

    The new channels were allowed because they could be moved into class d cb but if you look at what is out there ......

    The Business Radio Service has several channels just above the Citizen's Band, at 27.430, 27.450, 27.470, 27.490, 27.510, and 27.530 MHz.
    The federal government has the frequencies from 27.540 up to 28.000. Many civilian agencies use, or used to use, the frequencies 27.575 and 27.585 for low-power use.
    The 10 meter ham band runs from 28.000 to 29.700 MHz.
    Below the Citizen's Band, the U.S. military has the frequencies from 26.480 to 26.960.

    So where are you going to put any new channels ?

  9. #88
    Heavy Load Member Mad Dog 20/20's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skid Row
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Posts
    745
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked: 159 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    The second harmonic of 27 MHZ is 54 MHZ--right in the amateur 6 Meter band!
    Was 6M extended??? last I knew the upper band limit was 54 MHz.

  10. #89
    Heavy Load Member Mad Dog 20/20's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Skid Row
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Posts
    745
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked: 159 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by WA4GCH View Post
    Canada did the right thing 150 MHZ range and 30 watts for trucks would give good range for a average trucker......

    This is the first I've about this band, what is the service named and is it license free? Can you provide a link for more info.

    thanks

  11. #90
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    66
    Posts
    582
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 175 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    Was 6M extended??? last I knew the upper band limit was 54 MHz.
    That's true, but you gotta remember that when people are operating everywhere from 26 MHZ up to and into 28 MHZ, the range of frequencies being interferred with is large and does cover the 6 Meter band along with others, too.

    GF

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •