Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Going to Conway

  1. #21
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I95
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,549
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked: 985 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    I wouldn't mind pulling doubles provided I obtained the endorsement. I'm always up for a challenge. I was shocked to see Freight still has Volvos in the fleet pulling doubles. They must be doing their OTR doubles work.
    The Volvo's you see on the Freight side are for what we call ESL or Extended Service Lane runs. There are night operations that are crucial for certain next day lanes that are too far for one driver. For instance, Columbus, Oh to Clearfield, Pa is about 630 miles from terminal to terminal which is too far for one driver to turn considering weather and the way our operation works. Without that run, Columbus' furthest next day markets would be the Harrisburg and Wilkes Barre service areas of Pa by running Lordstown, Oh and Pittsburgh, Pa as solo runs. Clearfield opens up Eastern Upstate NY and much of New Jersey as a next day lane which is a huge money making selling point in LTL. Some other crucial ESL lanes I know of are Buffalo, NY and Clearfield, Pa to Toledo, Oh which opens up Chicagoland as a next day market and those two running Columbus, Oh which makes say State College, Pa to Terra Haute, In next day instead of two day service. Those lanes also make what would be three day service two day service - huge revenue producers for us.

    The way it works for the drivers is simple - one drives out and one drives back. The one who drives down hooks at the origin terminal and breaks at the destination. Both work the dock, then the one who drives home hooks at the destination terminal and breaks/fuels at the home terminal. The hourly rate is the same but the mileage rate is .72 per mile because you're only driving one way and sleeping the other. Some really senior drivers bid this because you can make an easy $1400 per week while only working about 32-38 hours on lines 3 and 4 while getting your sleep at work.


  2. #22
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I95
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,549
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked: 985 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang970 View Post
    Pulling pups with Truckloads current set up may be a issue, as all company trucks are fixed 5th wheel. The daycabs that were sent to Pa & Va had to have the 5th wheels swapped out. We had the same issue pulling UPS pups a few years ago. We were tearing off mudflaps and damaging trailer subframe and landing gear.
    Yeah, we had the same issue with the Volvo's when we got em. The landing gear on Freight 28' trailers are set up for single axles - Estes for instance has the landing gear pushed further back to allow tandem axle tractors to pull them without modification. The remedy was to push the 5th wheel all the way back and lock it in place. This is why you'll notice a large gap between the fairing and lead trailer on any Freight Volvo whether it's pulling a van or a set.

  3. #23
    Light Load Member JerryC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portland, TX.
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    56
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked: 51 Times

    Just a few questions about the obsticle course. . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    If I can offer one piece of advice.. don't screw around with the obstacle course. They are serious when it is stated they will can you if you fail!
    What would you say the level of difficulty of this obstacle course is?

    And, Do they allow you to complete the course in your own time?

    Is it a timed testing course.

    Any feedback you can offer will be greatly apprieciated.

    Thanks.

  4. #24
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I95
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,549
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked: 985 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
    What would you say the level of difficulty of this obstacle course is?

    And, Do they allow you to complete the course in your own time?

    Is it a timed testing course.

    Any feedback you can offer will be greatly apprieciated.

    Thanks.
    It depends on the weather. If it's snowing and icy out the obstacle course can be challenging. You'll be pulling a set from NY/NJ back to Pa that is more than likely not loaded nose heavy for winter traction or even worse, mt's - you'll get stuck in the middle of I80 on the first hard pull while reaching out of your window trying to slap the ice off of your wiper after you just avoided a 4-wheeler that spun out in front of you. The worst part is you have to keep going once you make it up that hill - you keep slapping you wiper, you give up on looking in your mirrors going down hill (might not like seeing "Con-way Freight" in your mirror - kite coming around you is an ugly thing), you spin up the rest of the hills then you slide down the other side, and then you finally make it back.

    Of course they let you complete it on your own time frame..lol.. Con-way is all about drivers doing things on their time frame. I have 3 hours and and five minutes one way to complete my run and if I get stuck running up Bald Eagle they ask me why I'm late..lol.. Why did it take so long?? I got stuck in the middle of the road!!lol!!

    Oh wait, you're applying for Truckload - they throw a few cones in a lot and you have to drive around them without crushing any. A treacherous test indeed.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakebrake12 For This Useful Post:


  6. #25
    Light Load Member JerryC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portland, TX.
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    56
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked: 51 Times

    Looks like Conway people have a liter side

    Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake12 View Post
    It depends on the weather. If it's snowing and icy out the obstacle course can be challenging. You'll be pulling a set from NY/NJ back to Pa that is more than likely not loaded nose heavy for winter traction or even worse, mt's - you'll get stuck in the middle of I80 on the first hard pull while reaching out of your window trying to slap the ice off of your wiper after you just avoided a 4-wheeler that spun out in front of you. The worst part is you have to keep going once you make it up that hill - you keep slapping you wiper, you give up on looking in your mirrors going down hill (might not like seeing "Con-way Freight" in your mirror - kite coming around you is an ugly thing), you spin up the rest of the hills then you slide down the other side, and then you finally make it back.

    Of course they let you complete it on your own time frame..lol.. Con-way is all about drivers doing things on their time frame. I have 3 hours and and five minutes one way to complete my run and if I get stuck running up Bald Eagle they ask me why I'm late..lol.. Why did it take so long?? I got stuck in the middle of the road!!lol!!

    Oh wait, you're applying for Truckload - they throw a few cones in a lot and you have to drive around them without crushing any. A treacherous test indeed.
    That was a pretty good description. Almost ready to pass altogether on on driving for CFI, much less trying out for Doubles. . .

    Sounds like you Doubles guys have your own "Industry Terminology".

    Yes, I have applied to CFI/Conway. I have an orientation date set for 1/18/10. Decieded to throw in the towel (wet towel) back at Stevens Transport. Enough is enough. . .

    I'm sure the obsticle course can't be anything I have not already encountered in truckstops, Wrong turns I took and "Oh ####! what have I gotton myself into this time." Always manage to get thru it. From some of the posts it sounded like the course may be more intense then then I was expecting.

    But thanks for the feedback and the good story. . .

  7. #26
    Medium Load Member Mystikal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Age
    37
    Posts
    421
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked: 174 Times
    Thanks Jake for clearing that up on the volvos. I had a feeling it was something similar to that.

    Jerry... the course is basic but tight. I believe its a test of your maneuvering abilities and judgement calls based on its design... but thats only what I think. If you hit any of the barriers, including a plastic chain on flimsy poles that mark the course, your done and going home no questions asked. The object is to get as close to the obstacles as possible and finish as fast as possible. The entire thing is set on a point system... teh closer you are to the object the more points you score.

    Then you have a 10 minute backing test. Get out 3 times to check... 1) setup 2) Close to the "dock" 3) before you say your finished. It's easy if you know how to setup and maneuver the combination. We had a few students in my orientation fail as well as some spouse team drivers on the backing test but overall I think about 80% of us passed.

    And finally you have the urine test... which I believe is done the first day. Obviously its pass/fail but if the stick turns pink your pregnant and have more problems than you thought.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mystikal For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I95
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,549
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked: 985 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    Thanks Jake for clearing that up on the volvos. I had a feeling it was something similar to that.

    Jerry... the course is basic but tight. I believe its a test of your maneuvering abilities and judgement calls based on its design... but thats only what I think. If you hit any of the barriers, including a plastic chain on flimsy poles that mark the course, your done and going home no questions asked. The object is to get as close to the obstacles as possible and finish as fast as possible. The entire thing is set on a point system... teh closer you are to the object the more points you score.

    Then you have a 10 minute backing test. Get out 3 times to check... 1) setup 2) Close to the "dock" 3) before you say your finished. It's easy if you know how to setup and maneuver the combination. We had a few students in my orientation fail as well as some spouse team drivers on the backing test but overall I think about 80% of us passed.

    And finally you have the urine test... which I believe is done the first day. Obviously its pass/fail but if the stick turns pink your pregnant and have more problems than you thought.
    Just bustin some chops. Those are true stories though..lol..

  10. #28
    Light Load Member JerryC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portland, TX.
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    56
    Posts
    73
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked: 51 Times

    Sounds pretty challenging

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    Thanks Jake for clearing that up on the volvos. I had a feeling it was something similar to that.

    Jerry... the course is basic but tight. I believe its a test of your maneuvering abilities and judgement calls based on its design... but thats only what I think. If you hit any of the barriers, including a plastic chain on flimsy poles that mark the course, your done and going home no questions asked. The object is to get as close to the obstacles as possible and finish as fast as possible. The entire thing is set on a point system... teh closer you are to the object the more points you score.

    Then you have a 10 minute backing test. Get out 3 times to check... 1) setup 2) Close to the "dock" 3) before you say your finished. It's easy if you know how to setup and maneuver the combination. We had a few students in my orientation fail as well as some spouse team drivers on the backing test but overall I think about 80% of us passed.

    And finally you have the urine test... which I believe is done the first day. Obviously its pass/fail but if the stick turns pink your pregnant and have more problems than you thought.
    Apprieciate the feedback. I think an opsticle course should be challenging. Especially for a driver with experience. As for the drug screen. I won't have any problems with that. . .

    It seems to me the opsticle course could be more geared towards Doubles then Single trailers.

    We'll, I submitted my resignation via qualcom and moved out of my truck and proceeded to quit Monday morning. I spent the better part of the entire work day meeting with people and hearing resolutions of how things should have been and how things can be very easily changed. What that means for me is that I will be making more money then I can shake a stick at. (Hopefully not a pink stick). I will be getting a new DM (Driver Manager) and the Business Manager is working on getting me into a New and not so abused truck.

    I feel compelled to forgive the sins of the past and give them a fair and fighting chance to prove their sincerity. Granted as a Lease Operator I have to do my diligence and hussle more then I have been doing. Sometimes I try going along to get along. But that does not always work the way it should at stevens. You need to know when to get aggressive and who to call when things start to slow down.

    So I'm back onboard with Stevens for the time being.

    Should things change you'll be hearing from me again on this thread.

  11. #29
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    I95
    Trucker?
    12 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,549
    Thanks
    957
    Thanked: 985 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
    Apprieciate the feedback. I think an opsticle course should be challenging. Especially for a driver with experience. As for the drug screen. I won't have any problems with that. . .

    It seems to me the opsticle course could be more geared towards Doubles then Single trailers.

    No, it will be a 53'. I work at Con-way Freight, the LTL division of Con-way. We pull doubles but you will not at Truckload.

  12. #30
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    Prestonsburg, KY.
    Trucker?
    17 Years
    Age
    50
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 8 Times
    Hello again Stick and all the other Coway Drivers, could someone tell me about the idle policy at Conway Truckload? Also are any of the trucks equipped with APU'S? Thanks!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast