Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61
  1. #1
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    salisbury,md
    Trucker?
    7 Years
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times

    Blood sugar levels

    I am trying to get my wife hired she has diabets but NOT on INSULIN companies keeping telling me that her blood sugar must be under 200 or an A1C less then 9.

    I have read the FMCSA regs and cant find a requirement for a blood sugar level 391.41 states that if NOT on INSULIN you quialify ,

    Where is a blood sugar level stated in the dot regs

    my wife has a level of 220- 300 which she has always had even on meds her doctor says that , that is her normal range . this is her range even on her meds.

    Please show me where the DOT REGS or on a blood sugar level of under 200.

  2. #2
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Portland, Or.
    Trucker?
    50 Years
    Posts
    978
    Thanks
    2,026
    Thanked: 3,250 Times
    I'm trying to be helpful, not hateful. Is your wife overweight? Does she exercise? Her levels are way too high. Hopefully she can get them lowered. Her levels are putting her body under stress.

    Because it is not against regulations does not obligate a company to hire you. Criminal record, credit score, employment history are a few of the things companies take into consideration before hiring. Some of these things have to do with insurance requirements rather than laws.

    I wish you both well, both health wise and employment wise.

  3. #3
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    justin,tx
    Trucker?
    36 Years
    Age
    59
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked: 46 Times
    The limit is 160 not 200. It's on the actual physical. Not being smart but trying to help, your wife needs a new dr. At 400 you run the risk of comma

  4. #4
    Rat
    Rat is offline
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rats nest Grafton North Dakota
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,500
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked: 1,367 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBAQUICK View Post
    The limit is 160 not 200. It's on the actual physical. Not being smart but trying to help, your wife needs a new dr. At 400 you run the risk of comma

    Is that level for before a meal or after a meal. I ask because according to my Doc Normal levels for after a meal are between 180 and 200. Before a meal is around a 100 ish. 130 is prediabeties.

    Been learning all about this because I have type II. My sugars run over 200 and I still have my med card and am legal to drive.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rat For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Honorary Supporter Roadmedic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    18,230
    Thanks
    2,884
    Thanked: 8,351 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBAQUICK View Post
    The limit is 160 not 200. It's on the actual physical. Not being smart but trying to help, your wife needs a new dr. At 400 you run the risk of comma
    I have checked the blood sugar on patients that are consistently that high or higher.

    It depends on the patient and their compliance to the diet and general health.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadmedic For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Portland, Or.
    Trucker?
    50 Years
    Posts
    978
    Thanks
    2,026
    Thanked: 3,250 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Is that level for before a meal or after a meal. I ask because according to my Doc Normal levels for after a meal are between 180 and 200. Before a meal is around a 100 ish. 130 is prediabeties.

    Been learning all about this because I have type II. My sugars run over 200 and I still have my med card and am legal to drive.
    American Diabetes Association reccomends an A1C of less than 7, BS levels of 90-130 more than 2 hours after eating, under 180 within 2 hours. American College of Endocrinology reccomends an A1C of less than 6.5. BS levels under 110 more then 2 hours after eating, under 140 within 2 hours.

    The A1C of the OPs wife is the most disturbing reading.

    I also am diabetic type 2. When diagnosed my BS level was 480. Through diet and exercise I'm down to non-diabetic levels witn an A1C of 5.2.
    How long ago were you diagnosed? Many doctors are not too well informed about diabetes. Check your local hospital for diabetic classes. Many of these are free and the ones with a fee are covered by most insurance policies.

    Good luck on your journey.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Native Dancer For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Road Train Member celticwolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kittrell, NC
    Trucker?
    1 Year
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,530
    Thanks
    214
    Thanked: 634 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    2
    To the original poster.. She needs an Endocrinologist, not a Doctor who thinks he/she knows what they are doing.

    Normal Serum Blood Glucose levers are 80-120. Diabetics normally run higher, but they should be as close to 120 as possible. A1C above 7% indicate Serum BG level above 120 over a period of 90 days.

    Per DOT serum BG levels need to be below 8.7% and if you follow the letter of the reg, never below 100. Stupid things is non-diabetics are almost always below 100.

    Find a new doctor and get her Diabetes under control. Right now it's no where here controlled.

  11. #8
    Heavy Load Member delta5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Trucker?
    19 Years
    Age
    49
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked: 267 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBAQUICK View Post
    The limit is 160 not 200. It's on the actual physical. Not being smart but trying to help, your wife needs a new dr. At 400 you run the risk of comma
    I have not seen this on the long form physical or in the FMCSA requirements in 16 years. They DO check you for sugar and protein in your urine during a physical. That is the first telltale sign. If your urine is not "clean", they will flunk you until you get it taken care of...

  12. #9
    Heavy Load Member delta5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Trucker?
    19 Years
    Age
    49
    Posts
    812
    Thanks
    150
    Thanked: 267 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by celticwolf View Post
    To the original poster.. She needs an Endocrinologist, not a Doctor who thinks he/she knows what they are doing.

    Normal Serum Blood Glucose levers are 80-120. Diabetics normally run higher, but they should be as close to 120 as possible. A1C above 7% indicate Serum BG level above 120 over a period of 90 days.

    Per DOT serum BG levels need to be below 8.7% and if you follow the letter of the reg, never below 100. Stupid things is non-diabetics are almost always below 100.

    Find a new doctor and get her Diabetes under control. Right now it's no where here controlled.
    When you say "per DOT" can you please tell me the section of the FMCSA that says this? I have not seen it in 16 years. The rules for the new FMCSA insulin waiver state that I have to keep my A1c between 7 and 10 to keep the waiver. They dont want it below 7 because you run the risk of bottoming out while driving. My endocrinologist disagrees with that however. He wants me to shoot for 6 or 6.5.

  13. #10
    Trucker Forum STAFF CondoCruiser's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Trucker?
    EX-15 Years
    Age
    52
    Posts
    17,637
    Thanks
    6,750
    Thanked: 15,875 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by celticwolf View Post
    To the original poster.. She needs an Endocrinologist, not a Doctor who thinks he/she knows what they are doing.
    I think that's what I need because my doctor isn't making much progress. But than again, if you have a high deductible or no insurance, you don't have the luxury of going to a specialist.

    To the OP, those readings are way too high. That's not her normal range, but the results of being a non-compliant diabetic. 300 is near stroke level. The doctor should be increasing her dosage and she must eat right. I started out with 1000mg of Metformin and I'm up to 2000mg's now. You need readings before you eat or at least 2 hours after. Blood sugar will spike when you eat. It took me 3 months to find that out. Everywhere you go for help gives you bits and pieces of info.

    If your wife hasn't already, she has to get diet compliant and you must force yourself to get into an excercise regiment. It takes some adjusting, but I actually like unsweet coffee and tea now. Also wipe out everything that is white (starches) out of your diet except for beans. There's more to it, but that's a good start.
    Last edited by CondoCruiser; 02.20.2011 at 05.15 AM. Reason:: sp

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast