Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 131
  1. #1
    Road Train Member Colorato's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked: 566 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1

    Dash cams. What are you using?

    Looking at getting a dash camera. What make, model, size dash camera are you using? Where did you get it from?


  2. #2
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Trucker?
    27 Years
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 47 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorato View Post
    Looking at getting a dash camera. What make, model, size dash camera are you using? Where did you get it from?
    I use the GoPro hero, bought it at best buy. The camera has many different mounts, sold separately but it is light weight enough to use a 2inch piece of Velcro to hold it firmly to the dash, so there really isn't a need to buy any mounts unless you want to use it on your bike or something else. I charge it continuously with the USB cable that comes with it since the battery only lasts several hours. My 32g memory will last about 5.5 hours but the 64g card is affordable now. Very high quality camera.

  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Banker For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Road Train Member silenteagle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ozark, MO
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Posts
    1,481
    Thanks
    865
    Thanked: 710 Times
    Top Dawg dash cam bought at the 49er in Sacramento. $99 and $29 for an extra 32gb SD card. works great, but kinda choppy if you wanna post to youtube.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silenteagle For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Medium Load Member Milktanker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Frenchtown, mt
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked: 230 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banker View Post
    I use the GoPro hero, bought it at best buy. The camera has many different mounts, sold separately but it is light weight enough to use a 2inch piece of Velcro to hold it firmly to the dash, so there really isn't a need to buy any mounts unless you want to use it on your bike or something else. I charge it continuously with the USB cable that comes with it since the battery only lasts several hours. My 32g memory will last about 5.5 hours but the 64g card is affordable now. Very high quality camera.
    That's what I am using right now as well, I am using the windshield mount right now but hadn't thought about just velcroing to the dash. I'll have to give that a try.
    The only thing I don't like about the go pro is it doesn't work too good at night and it does not time/date stamp anything. Other than that I have been very happy with it.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milktanker For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Road Train Member Colorato's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked: 566 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Milktanker View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the go pro is it doesn't work too good at night and it does not time/date stamp anything.
    Thats the issue I'm running into is night time imaging. I run a dedicated nite run so it will have to work in the dark.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorato For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    18,847
    Thanks
    2,997
    Thanked: 8,760 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorato View Post
    Thats the issue I'm running into is night time imaging. I run a dedicated nite run so it will have to work in the dark.

    I sent a pm to dieselboss and got some feedback from him.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadmedic For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Trucker?
    27 Years
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 47 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorato View Post
    Thats the issue I'm running into is night time imaging. I run a dedicated nite run so it will have to work in the dark.
    My first camera was a Sony HD(hard-drive) Handycam. It did better at night, but it had moving parts. Therefore after about a year of road vibrations, every time I would hit a big bump it would have to be reset. I learned that for this type of use the camera must be sold state, IE, no moving parts. I just felt that even if someone sideswipes me at night with no lights on at all, the marker lights on my trailer, along with a still frame picture of the point of impact, will show where I was in my lane or which light of a stop light was illuminated. Even if it's not perfect it's better than not having it.

  13. #8
    Road Train Member Colorato's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked: 566 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadmedic View Post
    I sent a pm to dieselboss and got some feedback from him.
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

  14. #9
    Road Train Member Colorato's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    1,180
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked: 566 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    1
    How about the Carcam k2000?

  15. #10
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Trucker?
    27 Years
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 47 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorato View Post
    Thats the issue I'm running into is night time imaging. I run a dedicated nite run so it will have to work in the dark.
    Check out this review on YouTube, GoPro Hero 3 vs Sony Action cam video comparison. The Sony does very well at night. But with some light the Gopro works good too.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •