Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times

    Truck to buy for hotshot? F-350 or Freightliner M2?

    New to the industry. We are looking at doing hotshots and wanted some advice on what type of truck to purchase. We were dead set on a 2012 F-350 DRW until we ran across a Freightline Business Class M2 106 crew cab with the sleeper cab and hauler gooseneck hookup last weekend. Man those things are nice. Obviously we would not buy a new one since they seem to be $125,000 instead of the $55,000 for the F-350. We will be pulling a 35 ft or 40 ft flat trailer. Seems that the Freightline will be better for longevity and mpg but we will have more debt associated with that.
    Am I overlooking any trucks that I need to be considering?
    Any advice as to what to buy? Please do not bash me if I am not using the corect terminology. We are just gathering facts right now.


  2. #2
    Bobtail Member SiUQ1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would prefer the f350
    i think the '98 version has the 7.3 engine it... nowadays it's a 6.2 litre.... I like those pick ups because i just may be able to take them almost anywhere to get it serviced... unlike a larger framed truck that may cost a wee bit more for servicing.

    I hope you find that cherry you're looking for... you're gonna be hauling cars too??



    GOOD HUNTING!!

  3. #3
    Road Train Member WitchingHour's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Trucker?
    EX-10 Years
    Posts
    2,506
    Thanks
    456
    Thanked: 1,302 Times
    The new F350 Super Duty has a 6.7, and it can be coupled to a six speed automatic. Not a bad setup, although I didn't use it to haul anything as heavy as what you're planning on doing.
    The M2.... that would depend on the specs. I had a side gig hauling horses for a guy one.. he had an M2 with a 10 speed and a Cat... I think it was a C11, but it may have been a C10... I don't fully remember. He also had a Peterbilt 330 with a Cummins ISL and a 10 speed. They were both good for what they were used for, but it if you get one with, say, a 6.7 Cummins, C6 or C7 Cat, etc., they don't really much of an advantage over a one ton pickup, which nowadays come with motors that match the aforementioned ones in displacement. The only advantage left would be that you'd be able to get a dual countershaft transmission in the M2, but since your intent is to buy a used one, you're not going to get to have it built to specs. So if it were me, I'd have to concur with the above, unless I was fortunate enough to find a used M2 with the specs I wanted and in the kind of shape I wanted.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to WitchingHour For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Road Train Member sdaniel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pelham N.C.
    Trucker?
    23 Years
    Posts
    2,205
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked: 781 Times
    The freightliner WIll out last the ford 3 to one, and first panic stop you will love the much heavier brakes. One is ment to last a million miles. Check valves of f350 6 years old with over 300 k on clock. Break in miles on the flt.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdaniel For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Road Train Member sdaniel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pelham N.C.
    Trucker?
    23 Years
    Posts
    2,205
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked: 781 Times
    The sleeper can save you many a hotel stay! Best of luck!

  8. #6
    Road Train Member WitchingHour's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Broomfield, CO
    Trucker?
    EX-10 Years
    Posts
    2,506
    Thanks
    456
    Thanked: 1,302 Times
    There are plenty of ways to turn a quad cab pickup into a DOT legal sleeper, as well. It can be anything from refurbishing the back of a quad cab to adding a disconnected sleeper behind the cab, or even going all-out and doing this:



    Although if I were going to that extent, I probably would opt for a Class 7/8 truck instead.

  9. #7
    Bobtail Member SiUQ1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel View Post
    The freightliner WIll out last the ford 3 to one, and first panic stop you will love the much heavier brakes. One is ment to last a million miles. Check valves of f350 6 years old with over 300 k on clock. Break in miles on the flt.
    Quote Originally Posted by WitchingHour View Post
    The new F350 Super Duty has a 6.7, and it can be coupled to a six speed automatic. Not a bad setup, although I didn't use it to haul anything as heavy as what you're planning on doing.
    The M2.... that would depend on the specs. I had a side gig hauling horses for a guy one.. he had an M2 with a 10 speed and a Cat... I think it was a C11, but it may have been a C10... I don't fully remember. He also had a Peterbilt 330 with a Cummins ISL and a 10 speed. They were both good for what they were used for, but it if you get one with, say, a 6.7 Cummins, C6 or C7 Cat, etc., they don't really much of an advantage over a one ton pickup, which nowadays come with motors that match the aforementioned ones in displacement. The only advantage left would be that you'd be able to get a dual countershaft transmission in the M2, but since your intent is to buy a used one, you're not going to get to have it built to specs. So if it were me, I'd have to concur with the above, unless I was fortunate enough to find a used M2 with the specs I wanted and in the kind of shape I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by WitchingHour View Post
    There are plenty of ways to turn a quad cab pickup into a DOT legal sleeper, as well. It can be anything from refurbishing the back of a quad cab to adding a disconnected sleeper behind the cab, or even going all-out and doing this:



    Although if I were going to that extent, I probably would opt for a Class 7/8 truck instead.
    OMG!!!!!

    Yeah that's a TON of money to do that... (I'm guessing) and you should get a class7/8 SMH.... I kinda like it LOL all the benefits of a big truck, only not

  10. #8
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    WitchingHour, what kind of fuel mileage did you see from the M2? That seems to be a large factor in what we are looking at. I know the M2 will last longer than the F-350 but cost much more to service.

  11. #9
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    SiUQ1, we will be hauling anything that pays well at this point. We are starting out with a flatbed goodneck and may progress to car hauler if we see the profitability for us.
    First things first I guess. We have to decide on the vehicle and then find a good reliable driver.

  12. #10
    Road Train Member sdaniel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pelham N.C.
    Trucker?
    23 Years
    Posts
    2,205
    Thanks
    433
    Thanked: 781 Times
    About 7 to 8 from both .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •