Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11
    Light Load Member buckeyetrucker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Trucker?
    20 Years
    Age
    44
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 27 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan View Post
    imp retty sure a curtain side is a conestoga isnt it?
    You cant load a curtain side with overhead crane as a previous poster implied. Thats the beauty of a connestoga, only restriction is no oversized, and thats even being worked out from what I hear.


  2. #12
    Heavy Load Member rockyroad74's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Location
    at home in da swamp oilin my guns
    Trucker?
    18 Years
    Posts
    727
    Thanks
    744
    Thanked: 669 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by special k View Post
    Where I'm at a "conestoga" is referring to a rolling tarp system. In Ontario they often call it a roll-tite. A rack and tarp is referred to by that name or side kit. Sometimes when a customer wants to load/unload from either side and not want to hear the drivers whine about tearing down both sides of their kitsthey'll specify a conestoga type trailer.
    Funny, it's called whining by the party not paying for damages and lost time. What is it called when a driver tears a company's roll-up door down? A whiney customer?

  3. #13
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Trucker?
    10 Years
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked: 166 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyroad74 View Post
    Funny, it's called whining by the party not paying for damages and lost time. What is it called when a driver tears a company's roll-up door down? A whiney customer?
    That makes no sense, don't you know what a covered wagon is? must be torn down to load from both sides, which is a pain to do.
    No damage or lost time like you were saying.

  4. #14
    Medium Load Member Cowmobile's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    The hammer lane....
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Posts
    589
    Thanks
    531
    Thanked: 1,142 Times
    Here you go...
    -image-jpg

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowmobile For This Useful Post:


  6. #15
    Road Train Member dannythetrucker's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    everywhere, man
    Trucker?
    16 Years
    Posts
    2,320
    Thanks
    2,315
    Thanked: 2,461 Times
    The big benefit of a conestoga vs. a side-kit flat (covered wagon), is how quick you can cover or uncover the whole trailer. I did some work with one on multi-stop loads hauling steel siding which was up to 30ft. long. How can you make 10 stops in a day with anything other than a conestoga ? If you had to tarp and untarp you'd be lucky to get 3 stops off. If you had a side kit, same thing, maybe a little quicker.

    Oddly enough, I saw a conestoga with a reefer today. Anyone heard of that before ? It kind of made me wonder if he made it custom for something in particular, (trying to think of something refrigerated requiring side or top loading ?) Or if he was just on a steady Conestoga run and found a reefer backhaul he could do better on or something.

    Anyways, the only other things I can tell you about Conestoga's is some of them are taller than others. And also, don't be fooled into thinking you can haul any old flatbed load with a conestoga. Besides obviously not doing any overdimensional, you also can't haul things like insulation or anything stacked too top tall on a regular flat, (it won't slide over, needs to be a foot or so shorter even with a tall conestoga. Even loads that are 96" wide can be real pesky if not impossible. So while Conestoga's are nice to save you from tarping, and can bring a premium on certain loads, they also limit what you can haul.

  7. #16
    Crusty In Training Logan76's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Location
    kittanning, PA
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    3,723
    Thanks
    4,499
    Thanked: 2,472 Times
    Maybe he hauled onions or some sort of food?

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Logan76 For This Useful Post:


  9. #17
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NEPA
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,886
    Thanks
    1,674
    Thanked: 2,933 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by dannythetrucker View Post

    Oddly enough, I saw a conestoga with a reefer today. Anyone heard of that before ? It kind of made me wonder if he made it custom for something in particular, (trying to think of something refrigerated requiring side or top loading ?) Or if he was just on a steady Conestoga run and found a reefer backhaul he could do better on or something.
    Perhaps equipment that required protection from freezing?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to windsmith For This Useful Post:


  11. #18
    Road Train Member aiwiron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Trucker?
    34 Years
    Posts
    5,927
    Thanks
    7,965
    Thanked: 5,191 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by dannythetrucker View Post
    The big benefit of a conestoga vs. a side-kit flat (covered wagon), is how quick you can cover or uncover the whole trailer. I did some work with one on multi-stop loads hauling steel siding which was up to 30ft. long. How can you make 10 stops in a day with anything other than a conestoga ? If you had to tarp and untarp you'd be lucky to get 3 stops off. If you had a side kit, same thing, maybe a little quicker.

    Oddly enough, I saw a conestoga with a reefer today. Anyone heard of that before ? It kind of made me wonder if he made it custom for something in particular, (trying to think of something refrigerated requiring side or top loading ?) Or if he was just on a steady Conestoga run and found a reefer backhaul he could do better on or something.

    Anyways, the only other things I can tell you about Conestoga's is some of them are taller than others. And also, don't be fooled into thinking you can haul any old flatbed load with a conestoga. Besides obviously not doing any overdimensional, you also can't haul things like insulation or anything stacked too top tall on a regular flat, (it won't slide over, needs to be a foot or so shorter even with a tall conestoga. Even loads that are 96" wide can be real pesky if not impossible. So while Conestoga's are nice to save you from tarping, and can bring a premium on certain loads, they also limit what you can haul.
    That may have been my old bosses truck, was it a Lilly Trucking rig?

  12. #19
    Road Train Member aiwiron's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Trucker?
    34 Years
    Posts
    5,927
    Thanks
    7,965
    Thanked: 5,191 Times
    Here is my definition of a Conestoga wagon.

    -mainheader-jpeg

    Years ago the double drop trailers with side kits were sometimes called the same thing.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aiwiron For This Useful Post:


  14. #20
    Road Train Member Rugerfan's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    Redding,CA
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Posts
    2,395
    Thanks
    966
    Thanked: 907 Times
    wow the more i look at these trailers the more i wanna drag one. i wouldnt mind multistop loads with the ease of these trailers. i honestly dont know why even my company doesnt have more than jsut one of these and its always hauled by the same o/o.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •