Kw T680

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Qstick, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Qstick

Qstick Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Do anyone have a Kw T680 ? I am looking to buy one and wanted to know if you have had any trouble with it and how is the truck over all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I wrench for a company which started getting them for the 2014 MY, and is in the process of replacing the T660s with them... the 2014s have the ISX15/400, 10 speed, and 3.36s. The 2015s have the MX-13/455, and most have a 10 speed with 3.08, while the Rocky Mountain double trucks have an autoshift 10 with 3.36s, and they're trying out a small number of line haul trucks with the autoshift 10 and I believe 2.64s.
    The 2014s had a rash of wheel seal failures around the 120 - 160k mark. Haven't seen it with the 2015s, and we do have team trucks which have gotten there and beyond.
    Some issues with the seals around the windshield. For the most part, they seem to be holding up pretty well. Very spacious - much more so than the 660s. At a distance, they look kinda the T700, and this might mislead people into thinking it's just another warmed over T2000, but they're much, much different. They come with a hydraulic clutch... I'm not a fan of those over a linkage clutch, personally, but we haven't been having problems with them. They seem to have worked out some electrical bugs for the 2015s.
    Driver feedback is generally positive... majority prefer them over the Freightliners and T660s.

4. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    I have a 2015 with the mx and 52k on it ive spent one day im the shop for software failure, aside from minor annoyances its a pretty good truck.

5. Myoneload

Myoneload Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2013
    around here
    i drive a 2015 t680. i got it at 688 miles, it now has 36766 on it. have not been in shop for anything. it is automatic also. gets good mileage 7.6 with 45000 in the box. shifts ok, but don't try crossing 4 lanes of traffic fast,lol. it does have one strange problem, when it rains water pours in from under the cb. have bot took it to shop yet.

6. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    mine leaks occasionally. I also get air blowing back through the engine or something from time to time.

7. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA
    I work on these at the KW dealer I work for (won't say which though, as I don't want to put my job in jeopardy). Honestly they are fantastic trucks, especially with the MX-13. Very quiet, very smooth, and amazing interior. As was said previously, they are not just another T2 variation. Of all of the aerodynamic KW's that geve been produced, it is far and away the easiest to work on.

My advice, stop thinking about it and drive one. You'll fall in love with it from there on.

Auctioneer and ew2108 Thank this.
  8. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    Not sure if you check your messages but i DM'ed you.

9. Thed302

Thed302 Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2014
    USA

Get it to a KW dealer soon, that is covered under warranty until you hit 100k

10. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    You probably have the same problem I had. The wire loom that comes in from the mirror and goes through the cab grommet needs to be taped up and resealed.
    Water will drip down into the loom and follow the wires into the floor of the cab, soaking your carpet.

11. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I had a 2014 with a Cummins and auto, fantastic truck, never once in the shop for anything. There was the water on the floor problem on the left side which was just as someone else noted, coming in through the wiring going out to the mirror.

I now have a 2015 with MX and 13 speed. The motor is quite but with the absolute lack of power compared to the Cummins I guess it doesn't need to make much noise except for the turbo fart when pulling hard and shifting. That's normal with the way the system is designed just like my Ford Power-Stroke used to do. The motor throws codes like a Politian throws candy at a parade. All but one are just annoying and easy to clear but I keep getting an active 103 Turbo Over Speed code that will not clear. I take it to the dealer, they hook it up and it's a one time code that sets within a mile after the last time it was cleared.

No more water on the floor but when it rains outside it also rains through the CB compartment. I know it's from the clearance lights, they do not sit tight against the seal on the cab but there's a spacer that the screws go through that prevent them from being over-tightened which also keeps them from sealing.

The Navigation system stinks, when you get in an area near a couple of interstates it will lock up then after about an hour it will pop up with a failure message and re-boot. It's a Microsoft Windows based system which explains most of it. I spent the $99 to upgrade to the latest Garmin mapping software which seems to have fixed it for now but I haven't moved in a week other that to run back and forth to the store so time will tell.

As for the rest of the truck, I love it, fantastic. First truck I've ever driven that when you close the door it shuts with a firm thump like a luxury car. The sleeper is very well laid out IMO. Love the flat-screen TV mount which can be released and rotate around to use the passenger seat as a recliner.

Ride is above average, truck handles rough/uneven roads very well. Doesn't rock over in hard side winds like earlier high-roof air ride cabs.

Other than the few minor annoyances I will say it's overall the best truck I have ever driven.

celery425 and ew2108 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.