Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MN
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,262
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked: 522 Times
    Does the truck turn over? I suspect it did if they burned out a starter trying it.

    My best guess, Double and triple check the ECM fuses and wires. They have been known to break inside the harness(they don't call them frieght shakers for nothing). The engine will NOT run wirthout power to the ECM.

    Hope this helps


  2. #12
    Road Train Member stranger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Trucker?
    34 Years
    Posts
    3,226
    Thanks
    982
    Thanked: 4,017 Times
    Rerun is correct. That's why I posted Carl saying what he said. Always check the most obivious, simple things first. I have repaired all types of cars, trucks, small engines, ect, after other shops gave up. It was always something simple. After I fixed what was wrong, then I had to repair what the other shops messed up.

    Check for sucking air, or a fuel solenoid switch. In other words, "it ain't got no gas in it". Like Carl, check the simple things first.

    My post were not meant to insult or cause ire. Carl has a message, plus was a litle fun. The other post was mainly to get more responses to keep your thread near the top of new post. People tend to also look at post with a few responses. I'm curious also as to what is wrong. I always like to learn more about problems. Unfortunately, many times lots of suggestions will be posted, the OP will fix the truck, and no one will ever hear from them again. Those that helped, or followed along, never know what the real problem was in case this same thing should arise again.

  3. #13
    Road Train Member x#1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Trucker?
    27 Years
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    1,278
    Thanked: 843 Times
    [QUOTE=Rerun8963;1710552]


    """finally, i too had a freightshaker...when the refrigerator ran down the battery a bit, there is a cut off switch that stops the refrigerator from running the battery dead, so that there would be enough "juice" to start the truck.........THAT switch, could be the problem, as I HAD to have one replaced, then my baby started right up.....again...simple things, FIRST........ """

    Could you please advise the location of this switch? All of a sudden my truck is needing to be jumped off and the batteries are only 8 months old.That switch is the 1st thing to pop in to my mind as i jumped the truck off.With all the ice and snow about to hit northern 'bama,I'd like to at least check that switch.I have already disconnected the fridge.Perhaps i should jump the truck,again for the second time since I parked on thursday(jumped it on friday and idled it for several hours and then it started well initially but after a day would not turn over) and see if it will hold a charge now.

    Anyway, over the last week or so,the cruise would suddenly go out as well as the jake but then come on intermittently.I am thinking there is a short OR something in the ecm.It appears that the switch is getting power for the jake as the light indicating as much on the switch itself is lighting when on plus i replaced the switch on the clutch pedal out of simplicity about a month ago when the problem first appeared. Then I noticed the cruise out along w/the jake.Related problem(s)?

    Any suggestions? I will probably just let the truck idle over night in my driveway just in case I can get out tomorrow.THAT is looking less likely by the hour however-

    FYI-2003 detroit 470/12.7, not an MB engine but since the problems were being discussed and the issue of the fridge switch was presented,I thought I would ask.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by x#1; 01.09.2011 at 01.54 PM.

  4. #14
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham nc
    Trucker?
    14 Years
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    Truck turns over. First thing we replaced was the batteries. New filters. They added some sort of solenoids, plugged it in over night, replaced filter housing, performed 2-3 service updates, burned the starter up trying to get it to run, replaced the starter, now they are saying some pump of some sort is needed that will cost, with labor, around 7k and they want me to sign off in case warranty does not cover it. I asked what was to be done if this does not fix the problem? They said I was afraid you would ask that. This truck is a Renegade (columbia with a 18 foot box camper mounted) that we use for pulling a restoration parts trailer to car shows all over the East Coast. It is a 08 with only 28,000 miles. The truck is at Triad Freightliner in Greensboro NC. They have been in touch with Detroit who services these engines. Maybe I should have taken to a Detroit dealer. Thanks to all who are trying to help. I will try to get more information Monday. Roger A.

  5. #15
    Heavy Load Member Jolsen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East of the big crick
    Trucker?
    WannaBe
    Age
    30
    Posts
    951
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked: 269 Times
    I got a friend that just got into a brand new Columbia with a mb engine in it and it wont run right for the life of it. Thing only has 30 miles on it. lucky it was a company truck and they sent it back and screamed refund. Now they have him in another Columbia with the mb with 30k on it and it has all sorts of issues. I love my freight shakers but #### I really do think that someone screwed the pouch on making the ones with mb engines in them. I would contact a lawyer and find out what your options are. Also it SHOULD be covered under warranty

  6. #16
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Trucker?
    44 Years
    Posts
    1,524
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked: 569 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollover the Original View Post
    I heard that the MB engines were great in their cars but they had n idea how to build a truck engine! LOL

    That's from some of the guys I knew who got stuck with the company trucks they ordered with them in them, but the good news was they won't order another MB engine due to many problems!

    I would ask if their "guy" went to the Mercedes-Benz school! It's a different ball game than a yellow, blue or red engine!
    School is done at Detroit dealerships, or at a Freightliner dealership, they are a simple engine to work on and are used all over the world. As far as parts they are no different than buying any part, some are easy to get and some you have to wait for. I have waited for parts for every engine, I waited 6 weeks for a cylinder head for an "E" model Cat, because it was one of the first ones out.
    The trick about getting your parts as quickly as possible is to clean and inspect every part as you take it off. Put it away and or write it on the list. I use to have a pallet behind the truck, with boxes on it for parts that were no good and a rack with good parts. the trick to doing things quickly is not handling the parts multiple times take them off, clean it, inspect it, and decide if it is reusable or needs to be sent out, or replaced, is it a core.
    I have seen many people tear things apart really fast to find the wrought cause, order some parts, then when they are trying to put it together, they find parts that need to be sent out or replaced.
    These are the ones that blame the manufacturer, everybody else.
    It is better to take your time, order all your parts the first time, get the stuff you have no control of sent out as soon as possible, machine shop, rad shop, what ever. Inspect everything you can see looking for other things that may be damaged, even if not related. If you have the oil pan off, look and feel the cam, the piston cooling nozzles, the oil pick-ups everything.
    Clean the job so it is ready to go together, clean you work area.
    Do not rely on your memory if the piece is no good write it down. Do a mental run threw every break being sure you did not miss things.
    As far as the engine operation it is a low RPM low torque engine, with a great retarder system. Not every truck needs 600 HP and 2050 ft lbs of torque. You drive what you have in the parameters it is supposed to be run at, If you go up a hill ten miles an hour slower than the other guy, what is the difference, you get paid to drive it as a professional, not a cowboy.

  7. #17
    Road Train Member Rerun8963's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    ova-hereee
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Posts
    3,917
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked: 1,964 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by x#1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerun8963 View Post


    """finally, i too had a freightshaker...when the refrigerator ran down the battery a bit, there is a cut off switch that stops the refrigerator from running the battery dead, so that there would be enough "juice" to start the truck.........THAT switch, could be the problem, as I HAD to have one replaced, then my baby started right up.....again...simple things, FIRST........ """

    Could you please advise the location of this switch? All of a sudden my truck is needing to be jumped off and the batteries are only 8 months old.That switch is the 1st thing to pop in to my mind as i jumped the truck off.With all the ice and snow about to hit northern 'bama,I'd like to at least check that switch.I have already disconnected the fridge.Perhaps i should jump the truck,again for the second time since I parked on thursday(jumped it on friday and idled it for several hours and then it started well initially but after a day would not turn over) and see if it will hold a charge now.
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolsen View Post
    I got a friend that just got into a brand new Columbia with a mb engine in it and it wont run right for the life of it. Thing only has 30 miles on it. lucky it was a company truck and they sent it back and screamed refund. Now they have him in another Columbia with the mb with 30k on it and it has all sorts of issues. I love my freight shakers but #### I really do think that someone screwed the pouch on making the ones with mb engines in them. I would contact a lawyer and find out what your options are. Also it SHOULD be covered under warranty
    sadly, i do not know where that switch is. the repair shop (dealer) took care of it after i dropped it off.

    another sad note, that since freightliner IS owned by M/B we will see M/B engines in them, as well as Detroits, and that's about it.... a potential owner ought to have more engine choices.

  8. #18
    Road Train Member stranger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Trucker?
    34 Years
    Posts
    3,226
    Thanks
    982
    Thanked: 4,017 Times
    If the truck is at freightliner at Greensboro, the Detroit shop is right down the road. Call them and get it there, and let the factory worry about what is wrong.

  9. #19
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham nc
    Trucker?
    14 Years
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    I forgot to mention, You can get the truck running by using other methods. Once it is running it will start again. After sitting a day or so it will not start again without help. Ether or other fluid. It is loosing its prime or pressure, that is why they are mentioning a pump of some sort.

  10. #20
    Road Train Member
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Location
    MN
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,262
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked: 522 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger A View Post
    Truck turns over. First thing we replaced was the batteries. New filters. They added some sort of solenoids, plugged it in over night, replaced filter housing, performed 2-3 service updates, burned the starter up trying to get it to run, replaced the starter, now they are saying some pump of some sort is needed that will cost, with labor, around 7k and they want me to sign off in case warranty does not cover it. I asked what was to be done if this does not fix the problem? They said I was afraid you would ask that. This truck is a Renegade (columbia with a 18 foot box camper mounted) that we use for pulling a restoration parts trailer to car shows all over the East Coast. It is a 08 with only 28,000 miles. The truck is at Triad Freightliner in Greensboro NC. They have been in touch with Detroit who services these engines. Maybe I should have taken to a Detroit dealer. Thanks to all who are trying to help. I will try to get more information Monday. Roger A.
    ok ok
    Detroit series 60 right?

    There are 2 ECM fuses under the chassis on the other side of the battery box. check them and the wires that go to them (ie bypass the fuse and give juice to the ECM... ) This sounds like a $5 repair, and the shop your truck is at is clueless.

    BTW: This IS a known issue with the Detroit engine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •