Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,373
    Thanks
    5,531
    Thanked: 5,030 Times

    Another Log Question: bobtail on Off Duty Personal Convenience?

    Got another HOS question.

    Tomorrow I'll be MT in Greensboro, NC, 1.5 hours from my terminal which is right up the street from my house.

    Heres the Problem when I get to the receiver to drop my trailer, I'll have .5 - 1 hour left on my 11 and at least 2 left on my 14.......


    Since I'll be Bobtail and not dispatched on a load, can I bobtail back to the terminal on Off Duty Personal Convieance?

    Can you go over your 11 and or 14 while useing it for personal use?



    American Trucker


  2. #2
    Light Load Member kenworthw900's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    285
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 63 Times
    I thought as long as it was ok with your company that you dont have to log it if it's personal use but i could be wrong

  3. #3
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of the Stampede
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    3,513
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked: 2,223 Times
    If you are OFF-DUTY and using your truck for personal conveyance, then the 11 & 14 do not apply. The only time they affect personal conveyance is if you have been put OOS. Then you cannot drive a CMV until the OOS order is lifted.
    Question 26: If a driver is permitted to use a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) for personal reasons, how must the driving time be recorded?

    Guidance: When a driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work, time spent traveling from a driver’s home to his/her terminal (normal work reporting location), or from a driver’s terminal to his/her home, may be considered off-duty time. Similarly, time spent traveling short distances from a driver’s en route lodgings (such as en route terminals or motels) to restaurants in the vicinity of such lodgings may be considered off-duty time. The type of conveyance used from the terminal to the driver’s home, from the driver’s home to the terminal, or to restaurants in the vicinity of en route lodgings would not alter the situation unless the vehicle is laden. A driver may not operate a laden CMV as a personal conveyance. The driver who uses a motor carrier’s Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) for transportation home, and is subsequently called by the employing carrier and is then dispatched from home, would be on-duty from the time the driver leaves home.

    A driver placed out of service for exceeding the requirements of the hours of service regulations may not drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) to any location to obtain rest.

    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...5.8&guidence=y

    As far as claiming personal conveyance when leaving the receiver, IMHO that could be a bit of a gray area. If your understanding (hint, hint) is that you will be returning to the receiver to pick up the trailer you dropped, then I would say it is no problem. Further, I would suggest that you are going home and not to the terminal (and I really don't care where you really go, but an enforcement officer might). If you are re-positioning for the next dispatch, then that could get you a violation.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to lostNfound For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Trucker?
    4 Years
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,373
    Thanks
    5,531
    Thanked: 5,030 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by lostNfound View Post
    If you are OFF-DUTY and using your truck for personal conveyance, then the 11 & 14 do not apply. The only time they affect personal conveyance is if you have been put OOS. Then you cannot drive a CMV until the OOS order is lifted.



    As far as claiming personal conveyance when leaving the receiver, IMHO that could be a bit of a gray area. If your understanding (hint, hint) is that you will be returning to the receiver to pick up the trailer you dropped, then I would say it is no problem. Further, I would suggest that you are going home and not to the terminal (and I really don't care where you really go, but an enforcement officer might). If you are re-positioning for the next dispatch, then that could get you a violation.

    Thats what i was thinking, since my terminal is as home as my truck can get, sounds like im good to go.

    I wont be going back to the receiver, just home till the next morning till i have hours and a load.


    Should I flag it as off duty?


    Like get to the receiver go to line 4 and write Drop Trailer/ Off Duty Personal Convieance?



    American Trucker

  6. #5
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of the Stampede
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    3,513
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked: 2,223 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by American-Trucker View Post
    Thats what i was thinking, since my terminal is as home as my truck can get, sounds like im good to go.

    I wont be going back to the receiver, just home till the next morning till i have hours and a load.


    Should I flag it as off duty?


    Like get to the receiver go to line 4 and write Drop Trailer/ Off Duty Personal Convieance?



    American Trucker
    After arriving at the receiver I would go to line 4 and show the time required for dropping the trailer, a post-trip inspection and the completion of any required paperwork, then go to line 1 (just the same as if you are already at your final destination). You could also move to a local truck stop and complete your run there before heading home.

    I never write what I was doing in the remarks section (it isn't required by the FMCSA), just the location (and task time if being flagged because it is less than 15 minutes). Company policy may dictate otherwise.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lostNfound For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Location
    randolph wi
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked: 54 Times
    If your on elogs I don't think you canget away with that. Your company would have to change your logs and if you got stopped by the dot I believe you might get in trouble if over HOS or your 14

  9. #7
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of the Stampede
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    3,513
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked: 2,223 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by sprink99 View Post
    If your on elogs I don't think you canget away with that. Your company would have to change your logs and if you got stopped by the dot I believe you might get in trouble if over HOS or your 14
    Not really a problem. If subject to either 395.15 or 395.16, and company policy allows it, then there is a procedure to indicate the CMV is being used as a personal conveyance. In some cases the EOBR could remain on line 1 if forced, or the driver can enter a note in remarks before driving OFF-DUTY, or the process can be as follows:
    395.16 Electronic on-board recording devices.

    (d) Duty status defaults.
    (1) An EOBR must automatically record driving time. If the CMV is being used as a personal conveyance, the driver must affirmatively enter an annotation before the CMV begins to move.

    (g) Distance traveled.
    (3) The driver may annotate only non-driving-status periods and the use of a CMV as a personal conveyance as described in paragraph (d)(1) of this section. The driver must electronically confirm his or her intention to make any annotations. The annotation must not overwrite the original record.

    (n) EOBR display requirements.
    (10) Driver's override of an automated duty status change to driving if using the vehicle for personal conveyance or for yard movement.


    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...spx?reg=395.16

  10. #8
    Road Train Member dave26027's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,263
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked: 748 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    34
    FMCSR 395.1(j). Listen up young man, this is as complicated as it gets.

    You CAN travel home off duty in 2 ways. First, P.C. But not past your hours limits. (11, 14 or 70).

    Second, you can go home if you're inside those limits and you have NO responsibilities to the Motor Carrier. You'll be on duty for this trip until you arrive home and complete a required 10 hour rest break. After your completed rest break, your trip reverts to off duty. And, "No responsibilties to the Motor Carrier changes if you own your own company, lease or are an employee.

    If you stop by Wal-Mart on the way home, no problem. If you buy anything related to your truck (like engine oil), or you stop by a truckstop and send in a fax or trip envelope, you're ON DUTY. And because you had responsibilities to the MC, you have to stay on duty.

    Now- here's my advice- do what you usually do and expect to be put out of service. Or not. Or maybe almost. But not quite. Don't show the friendly Trooper your Wal-Mart receipt for oil. Do drop to your knees and beg him for leniency. Prostrate yourself before the authority of the State and beg for mercy. Crying helps. Take off a sock and polish the toes of his boots while you're down there. Tell him that no one knows for certain what to do in your situation and you're a NooB. Ask him what he would do if he had to drive a truck for a living. DON'T ask him to take $100.00 and forget about it.

    If you have PeopleNet, you have to change to PC.

    Hope that helps. Or not. Well, it could if you didn't get confused.

  11. #9
    Banned or Retired
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Home of the Stampede
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    3,513
    Thanks
    541
    Thanked: 2,223 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by dave26027 View Post
    FMCSR 395.1(j). Listen up young man, this is as complicated as it gets.

    You CAN travel home off duty in 2 ways. First, P.C. But not past your hours limits. (11, 14 or 70).

    Second, you can go home if you're inside those limits and you have NO responsibilities to the Motor Carrier. You'll be on duty for this trip until you arrive home and complete a required 10 hour rest break. After your completed rest break, your trip reverts to off duty. And, "No responsibilties to the Motor Carrier changes if you own your own company, lease or are an employee.

    If you stop by Wal-Mart on the way home, no problem. If you buy anything related to your truck (like engine oil), or you stop by a truckstop and send in a fax or trip envelope, you're ON DUTY. And because you had responsibilities to the MC, you have to stay on duty.

    Now- here's my advice- do what you usually do and expect to be put out of service. Or not. Or maybe almost. But not quite. Don't show the friendly Trooper your Wal-Mart receipt for oil. Do drop to your knees and beg him for leniency. Prostrate yourself before the authority of the State and beg for mercy. Crying helps. Take off a sock and polish the toes of his boots while you're down there. Tell him that no one knows for certain what to do in your situation and you're a NooB. Ask him what he would do if he had to drive a truck for a living. DON'T ask him to take $100.00 and forget about it.

    If you have PeopleNet, you have to change to PC.

    Hope that helps. Or not. Well, it could if you didn't get confused.


    The joke forum is down the hall on the left.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to lostNfound For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Road Train Member dave26027's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Trucker?
    22 Years
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,263
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked: 748 Times
    My Truckers Blog
    34
    You're correct- sorry, sarcasm happens when I don't get my coffee all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •