Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Gas Hauling

  1. #1
    Bobtail Member CEN03's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times

    Gas Hauling

    I have CDL B going to school for a CDL A. Want to hual petro/fuel .I have hazmat and tanker. I know 2-3yrs of T/T is needed to be considered. Tanker must be a plus too.

    What companies (or cargo) can I look into, to get some tanker experience?

    Does it matter bulkhead, unbaffled, or baffled?

    What type is petro/fuel?

    Thanks


  2. #2
    "Village Idiot" dancnoone's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Trucker?
    23 Years
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,917
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked: 3,657 Times
    Fuel tankers are typically unbaffled. Although many/most use seperated compartments for hauling mixed loads.

    Look around, you might find someone willing to give you a shot right out of the gate. Gas Jockeys don't last long where I'm from.

    And many companies offer training.

  3. #3
    Bobtail Member CEN03's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    Why don't they last long?

  4. #4
    Master FMCSA Interpreter GasHauler's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vegas/Jersey
    Trucker?
    20 Years
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,992
    Thanks
    442
    Thanked: 3,004 Times
    First off the gasoline trucking business is one of the safest around. I'd put my company up against any in the nation. We've lost 2 drivers in the past 40 years and that covers CA, WA,OR,AZ, and NV. Second you'll have to start at the bottom and that would with a common carrier that hauls any fuel for any company. But that's where you start and gain your experience. You've got to keep your record clean and build a name for yourself so you'll be hired someday at the majors. The majors are the major oil companies that drill, refine, and haul their own product. At a major oil company like ARCO or Chevron you can make more money than most other drivers and be home every night. And the benefits are the top in the business. That would be your goal if you want to haul gasoline.

    The tankers are set-up with compartments. Usually 4 to 5 per truck. I have not seen a smooth bore tanker but I've heard of them but they only haul one product and most of them were for jet fuel. There are no baffles. You need compartments so you can seperate the different grades of gasoline. The nice thing about gasoline trucks usually the trailer and truck are matched. I drove what they call a truck and trailer. We had a tank on the power unit that pulled a trailer. It was a super tanker and I could hold 12,450 gallons of gasoline in 5 compartments. 2 on the truck and 3 on the trailer. The trailer was a four axle trailer with ABS.

    I've pulled box, van, and flatbeds. But I'd rather pull a tanker anyday. I've also pulled doubles and triples and I'd rather pull a truck and trailer anyday also.

  5. #5
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 16 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by GasHauler View Post
    First off the gasoline trucking business is one of the safest around. I'd put my company up against any in the nation. We've lost 2 drivers in the past 40 years and that covers CA, WA,OR,AZ, and NV.
    Gassy

    What do u mean by losing 2 drivers?

    What would happen if a high school kid pulled along side your truck and decided to blast the tank with a pistol? Will the tanks repel schrapnel at all?

    Also, how much work is there to driving a fuel tanker? Im 47 years old and planning on attending school real soon. My knees arent in great shape. Is there alot of climbing?

    thanks

    Crunchy
    Last edited by MACK E-6; 11.24.2007 at 08.43 PM. Reason:: fixed quote

  6. #6
    Bobtail Member CEN03's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    Gashauler thanks for the advice.

  7. #7
    Master FMCSA Interpreter GasHauler's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vegas/Jersey
    Trucker?
    20 Years
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,992
    Thanks
    442
    Thanked: 3,004 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUNCHYKNEES View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GasHauler View Post
    First off the gasoline trucking business is one of the safest around. I'd put my company up against any in the nation. We've lost 2 drivers in the past 40 years and that covers CA, WA,OR,AZ, and NV.
    Gassy

    What do u mean by losing 2 drivers?

    What would happen if a high school kid pulled along side your truck and decided to blast the tank with a pistol? Will the tanks repel schrapnel at all?

    Also, how much work is there to driving a fuel tanker? Im 47 years old and planning on attending school real soon. My knees arent in great shape. Is there alot of climbing?

    thanks

    Crunchy
    In the millions and millions of miles driven and over a span of 40 years we've had 2 drivers killed. Sorry I won't go into detail.

    If someone shot holes in my truck I'd just go back and get another. The tank won't blow up like you see in the movies.


    The requirement is listed on the applications and it states you must be able to lift 50lbs, climb ladders, and do alot of bending. I didn't find the work all that hard even when I had to drain a 30 foot 4" hose.
    Last edited by MACK E-6; 11.24.2007 at 08.43 PM. Reason:: fixed quote

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to GasHauler For This Useful Post:


  9. #8
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 16 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by GasHauler View Post
    In the millions and millions of miles driven and over a span of 40 years we've had 2 drivers killed. Sorry I won't go into detail...
    Do you think thats about standard to the whole trucking industry in general or just the tanker companies??
    Last edited by MACK E-6; 11.24.2007 at 08.45 PM. Reason:: fixed quote

  10. #9
    "Old Fart" Big Don's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Trucker?
    EX-11 Years
    Posts
    12,045
    Thanks
    17,515
    Thanked: 19,852 Times
    Hey Crunchyknees!

    If your knees are real bad, you may want to rethink going into this business. There is a lot of climbing in and out of trucks, even on long haul. Also, sitting for long periods of time, then climbing out is probably not the best thing in the world for bad knees.

    Just a thought. . .

  11. #10
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Posts
    198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 16 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Don View Post
    Hey Crunchyknees!

    If your knees are real bad, you may want to rethink going into this business. There is a lot of climbing in and out of trucks, even on long haul. Also, sitting for long periods of time, then climbing out is probably not the best thing in the world for bad knees.

    Just a thought. . .
    Don

    Are you talking about trucking in general or do you mean that driving a tanker is more stressful than other types of trucking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •