Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Per Diem

  1. #1
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked: 8 Times

    Per Diem

    Does Schneider have forced per diem or are we given a choice? Thanks.


  2. #2
    Light Load Member stlwaco's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Trucker?
    No Answer
    Age
    28
    Posts
    276
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked: 45 Times
    first 90 days is forced. after that you can opt out.

  3. #3
    Road Train Member mickeyrat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    on my 30 min break
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,792
    Thanks
    322
    Thanked: 1,171 Times
    and in addition you wont know what the rate is. I was told between .09 and .16 a mile.

    This program does NOTHING but help the company by them not having to payout to your social security acct, shortterm you see benefit in bigger pay checks. Also they ARE CHARGING you .02 a mile to "manage" this "benefit".

    As soon as I'm able, I'm off it.

  4. #4
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked: 8 Times
    Thanks for the replies. I have no interest in a per diem plan. I would rather manage my own money. I guess 90 days isn't terrible but I wish we had the choice up front.

  5. #5
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Stanchfield, MN
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 0 Times
    We also pay Schneider 2 cents a mile for this. (Yes! you are not making what you think!) This only benefits Schneider by letting them out of payroll taxes. I got myself taken off Per Diem the 3rd week. Then a couple weeks ago it just reappeared on my check. The Government gives Truck Drivers an automatic $59 per day you can write off without receipts. (That's a great Deal!) If you spend more than that you don't work for Schneider. I believe Per Diem is a Scam.

  6. #6
    Heavy Load Member Professional-Trucker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    California
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Age
    33
    Posts
    820
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked: 210 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarduderocks View Post
    We also pay Schneider 2 cents a mile for this. (Yes! you are not making what you think!) This only benefits Schneider by letting them out of payroll taxes. I got myself taken off Per Diem the 3rd week. Then a couple weeks ago it just reappeared on my check. The Government gives Truck Drivers an automatic $59 per day you can write off without receipts. (That's a great Deal!) If you spend more than that you don't work for Schneider. I believe Per Diem is a Scam.
    Not only do you need receipts, but you also need your logs as proof, that you were away from home and sleeping in a truck. In case of an audit by the IRS.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Professional-Trucker For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Heavy Load Member BlackLions's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Everywhere...Midwest and South
    Trucker?
    5 Years
    Posts
    992
    Thanks
    125
    Thanked: 207 Times
    It's not a scam.... It's a benefit for the company

  9. #8
    Road Train Member jakecat22's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    2,993
    Thanked: 11,408 Times
    actually I have spoken to a few accountants about per diem.

    What they all have told me, is that if you are single, don't own a home, and basically don't have deductions, you will actually BENEFIT from having per diem, make more money a year and have a lower tax liability.

    However, if you are married or own a home, and generally don't use the standard deduction because of what you own and can write off, to drop per diem like a bad habit, cause it is hurting you, not helping.

  10. #9
    Road Train Member mickeyrat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Location
    on my 30 min break
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,792
    Thanks
    322
    Thanked: 1,171 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by jakecat22 View Post
    actually I have spoken to a few accountants about per diem.

    What they all have told me, is that if you are single, don't own a home, and basically don't have deductions, you will actually BENEFIT from having per diem, make more money a year and have a lower tax liability.

    However, if you are married or own a home, and generally don't use the standard deduction because of what you own and can write off, to drop per diem like a bad habit, cause it is hurting you, not helping.
    being 43 and having worked mostly nonwithhholding jobs , I need all that I can going into my SS aact. So maybe I'll give it 6 months instead of 3. Who were the accoutants? Pm me their names? I want to get a guy anyway, If they know trucking and are local for a face to face, then thats the route I would go.


    I STILL dont like that .02 charge to save THEM money. THAT seems like some sort of extortion or something.

  11. #10
    Road Train Member jakecat22's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    1,000
    Thanks
    2,993
    Thanked: 11,408 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyrat68 View Post
    being 43 and having worked mostly nonwithhholding jobs , I need all that I can going into my SS aact. So maybe I'll give it 6 months instead of 3. Who were the accoutants? Pm me their names? I want to get a guy anyway, If they know trucking and are local for a face to face, then thats the route I would go.


    I STILL dont like that .02 charge to save THEM money. THAT seems like some sort of extortion or something.
    next time I go home I will get their numbers for you...I keep all that stuff at the house, and my wife usually just takes care of it.

    Per Diem does have it's downsides, less into SS is a big one, and when you go to get a loan for a house it really hurts because your gross income is so low.

    I don't have it, but I own a home and have lots of deductions, but if I didn't own a home and was young and single I would keep it.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakecat22 For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •