Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Trucker?
    Student
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked: 4 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly View Post
    I'm headed down to Charlotte, NC tomorrow, I start my training on Tuesday. I will probably make a thread and keep it updated with how things go as I move through the process.
    Alright sounds great. I'll be sure to follow to.


  2. #12
    Medium Load Member amiller's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Trucker?
    1 Year
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    420
    Thanked: 191 Times
    What company are you training with in charlotte nc @dieselfuelonly

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly View Post
    I'm headed down to Charlotte, NC tomorrow, I start my training on Tuesday. I will probably make a thread and keep it updated with how things go as I move through the process.

  3. #13
    Road Train Member dieselfuelonly's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Trucker?
    1 Year
    Posts
    1,502
    Thanks
    658
    Thanked: 2,524 Times
    I'm going to Schneider's orientation. Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more clear. I did my CDL training through Carolina Trucking Academy.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselfuelonly For This Useful Post:


  5. #14
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Trucker?
    Student
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked: 4 Times
    i will hopefully be starting orientation at schneiders portland location in the next month or so when school is done.

  6. #15
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Dec 2011
    Location
    morehead city nc
    Trucker?
    Student
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked: 12 Times
    hey dielsfuel im from carolina heading to charlotte the 5th hows it going and what all did you bring?

  7. #16
    Light Load Member Barchetta53's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Trucker?
    Student
    Age
    40
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 64 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcar View Post
    I'm about to hit the road with my training engineer. Schneider is a very good company. They are very big on safety and following all the rules. The training is long, thorough and tough. They throw alot at you at one time but it will be worth it in the end. Be prepared, know how to shift, pre-trip, post trip, and the rules of the road. This will give you a head start. Contact me in two weeks and I'll let you know how road training went and the final exam.
    I understand the long days, but is the training done on the road really that long? I was under the impression that your time spent out on the road with your trainer was only about a week? Not very long considering most companies train OTR for 4-6 weeks. Please clarify

  8. #17
    Road Train Member HotH2o's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Trucker?
    8 Years
    Posts
    2,259
    Thanks
    1,710
    Thanked: 1,801 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Barchetta53 View Post
    I understand the long days, but is the training done on the road really that long? I was under the impression that your time spent out on the road with your trainer was only about a week? Not very long considering most companies train OTR for 4-6 weeks. Please clarify
    Day 1 is paperwork and pre-work screen. The rest of the first week is spent backing, coupling/uncoupling, road drives and some classroom work. Week 2 is spent out on the road with a TE (Training Engineer). Personally I think week 2 is the toughest. I'm out with my TE right now and this dude is foul. He stinks, he pisses in a jug and he tries to force me to do things against Schneider policy. I have 2 more days with him. Week 3 is more class. Mostly learning the Qualcomm. There is a final test at the end which consists of pre-trip, post-trip, skills, coupling/uncoupling, sliding the tandems and fifth wheel. It's easy because they let you use your cheat sheets. If you pass on week 3 you get a truck and hit the road. For me week two is the toughest because I'm a clean guy and my trainer is, for lack of a better word, a pig! I been out with him since Saturday and haven't had much sleep due to the snoring, farting and smell. I'm going to tough it out though! Good luck to you!!

  9. #18
    Light Load Member Barchetta53's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN.
    Trucker?
    Student
    Age
    40
    Posts
    104
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked: 64 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by HotH2o View Post
    Day 1 is paperwork and pre-work screen. The rest of the first week is spent backing, coupling/uncoupling, road drives and some classroom work. Week 2 is spent out on the road with a TE (Training Engineer). Personally I think week 2 is the toughest. I'm out with my TE right now and this dude is foul. He stinks, he pisses in a jug and he tries to force me to do things against Schneider policy. I have 2 more days with him. Week 3 is more class. Mostly learning the Qualcomm. There is a final test at the end which consists of pre-trip, post-trip, skills, coupling/uncoupling, sliding the tandems and fifth wheel. It's easy because they let you use your cheat sheets. If you pass on week 3 you get a truck and hit the road. For me week two is the toughest because I'm a clean guy and my trainer is, for lack of a better word, a pig! I been out with him since Saturday and haven't had much sleep due to the snoring, farting and smell. I'm going to tough it out though! Good luck to you!!
    Thanks for the clarification HotH20. I have been following your post on your adventures, I feel for ya man!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Barchetta53 For This Useful Post:


  11. #19
    Heavy Load Member atruckr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Location
    Victorville CA
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Posts
    960
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked: 602 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fester69 View Post
    The best advice I can give is, dont act like you know it all and have a better way. There were a few of those guys in my class and you could see it rubbed the instructors the wrong way. The better attitude you have, the better your experience will be. Good luck to you!
    Very good advise! I found that if you keep a good attitude no matter what might rub you the wrong way with Schneider you will always come out ahead. Even when you screw up just keep trying your best to improve and you will improve. People take notice when you do!

  12. #20
    Bobtail Member revdup's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Trucker?
    1 Year
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 9 Times
    Great info! Got a couple more weeks at a MI community college program. I'm leaning toward Schneider because of my experience with the recruiters: actually stayed in touch with me and encouraged me to ask any questions. but y'alls comments seem to be the best selling point. I'll be training in WI, Milwaukee, I think. Not being a 'know it all' won't be difficult. The more I practice, the more I need to learn. I think that any company goes way out on a limb to hire a newbie. Just want to improve a little every day and learn from the people that have been there, done that.

    I know, when I was the instructor in other jobs, the person to stay away from was the one who already knew it all.

    Thanks, y'all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •