Anyone ever convert a 6x4 tractor to 6x2?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fortycalglock, Aug 3, 2011.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I've been thinking about this for a while now and can't decide on which way to go.
    1. Trash first rear axle and install air up/down lift. This should give me better mileage when both are down, and much better mileage when front is up.

2. Move Rear Rear axle to forward position, plate front rear axle and move to rear position. This should give me better mileage, without the ability for lift.

Has anyone done either of these and what were your results? Either way I would be putting in a new diff with a locker for better traction. Has anyone ran into a state or province not recognizing option1? I've heard BC doesn't, any others? Lift axle controls would be frame mounted, not inside cab. As far as BC goes, would disconnecting the lift bags at the bags be sufficient for them to recognize it?

Right now I'm at a 265" wheel base but I'm thinking about shortening to 244" when I do the 6x2 conversion. Any thoughts or experience?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I will be going to 6x2 when I do a rebuild on the engine. Going with a Link 20k lift pusher axle in front of a 23k drive axle with lockers for added traction. It is strongly advised that one going this route put on a stronger drive axle than the standard 20k since it is going to have to do all the work in both good and bad situations. I have a 235 in wheel base.

fortycalglock Thanks this.
  4. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    If it is illegal to have a tag axle in AB it is probably illegal in BC as well.

lostNfound Thanks this.
  5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    really...... no notisable fuel milage difference, but more traction problems, becouse for example european 4x2 and 6x2 trucktors are with interwheel diff. locks.

And it is not all, European differentials are designed for higher torque, converting to 6x2 you will increase torque on differential twice. Examples how do Europeans convert US trucks to 6x2 you can see in Internet are usually with installing ECAS and sometimes European axes

6. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    If your doing it for fuel mileage your probably going to be disappointed. We have a W900 with a front drive/rear dead axle. The only reason to do it would be weight savings and with the added tire wear we're seeing I don't even think that's worth it. I have a complete rear take off dead axle setup for a KW 8bag. Just bolt it in and go and decided against doing it since the truck we already have with the dead axle will slip the drive tires even loaded. We dump the air off the dead axle empty because wet pavement is like ice trying to get moving. Also like Cowpie said the drive axle is actually for a single axle truck and is larger than a normal twin screw setup.

IMO doing it just looking to help with fuel would not be worth the side effects. If you would financially benefit from the added lightweight then maybe. (like hauling grain/gravel or other bulk products where you load to max weight every load)

7. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    using tag instead of pusher is better for traction but not so good ride as empty

also you have to except that one diff is rated for 70000lbs and if you will ever strain it offroad or something extremely that it will broke except if you put real strong diff which cost you a lot

fuel savings are around 7% also tire savings but with pusher axle you will use much more tires than on tag also less complications with driveshaft if you use tag

also you must expected high strain on chassis when you are loaded and when you lift tag axle , in sweden norway and generally all scandinavia it is normal for use 6x2 trucks and drive them with lifted tag and this often creates 44000lbs on drive axle according to my fast calculation in case it you have 5th wheel in the middle of drive and tag you can except 38000lbs on drive axle when you are fully loaded

8. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Are you not seeing a 1/2 mpg better fuel mileage? Are you driving it around empty with the axle dumped all of the time? That would indeed cause the tire wear. I know I've forgot to turn the dump valve off on my rear spread axle, but it reminds at the first stop light. I can't imagine driving like that on purpose.

Yes this is purely for fuel mileage and as stated above, I'd be changing out the diff to one with a locker for either option. I do a lot of high revenue hauls, with a lot of deadhead in between. For example, I'm about to DH from AZ to TX, 1,150 miles. I can't help but think a lift in this case would be beneficial. There is also the thought of doing the tag setup and manually lifting the rear axle for long deadheads. My fifth wheel will slide over the front axle now. I've seen a lot of guys do this on their trailer spreads. I guess since I'll be utilizing my axle housings I have now if I do the tag setup, I can always go back to the twin screw setup with a days worth of work.

I tried looking for ECAS for sale, but get nothing. It sounds like a good system but without US support, probably not for me.

9. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    A 23k diff will not fit your housing if you currently have 20k diff in right now because a 23k diff is bigger than a 20k one. I also were thinking to change to a 6x2 setup and I was told that I need to replace my entire axle with stronger differential.

10. fortycalglock

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Do you haul heavy a lot? I don't, my average load for the last two year since switching to step from flat is around 15,000lbs. I haven't checked the pricing on a locking 20k diff vs 23k with housing but it shouldn't be to bad. If it is, I might be tempted in just going with the 20k locker, due to what I haul.

I think I'm leaning more to the tag setup as it seems to have the least disadvantages. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming.

11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I tried to say it!

Ok, there are US trucks converted to 4x2 for use in EU and as I know, no fuel milge difference.

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.