Reefer has difficulty to reach -10 temp

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by SemiMan, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SemiMan

SemiMan Light Load Member

May 21, 2013
    Hello guys
    We have a SB-230 TK refeer with a 2006 Utility trailer. Now our driver is telling us that the reefer has difficulty dropping down to -10 and only drops down to 4 degrees. Later he tell us that when he sets it to 23 degrees it will not hold and be up around 28 degrees. My question is, should that reefer model cool down to -10? Why is it not holding the temp aswell. Our driver is stating that the trailer is old and it does not have a "UV reflecting roof". Is the trailer the issue or is the reefer at fault? We have had TK look at it and no codes are coming up. Should the SB-230 reefer cool a 2006 Utility trailer to -10 degrees in AK weather?

Thanks guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Was the reefer on during loading? Was it hot?

Daddybakez Thanks this.
  4. Ribeye

Ribeye Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Ya, not so unusual. If when loaded the load was warmer than the set temp, it may take a day or two to pull it down. Like they always say, a reefer is not meant to pull down the load's temp, mainly it will maintain the load's temp when it was loaded. When I haul frozen food (rarely) say like -10, and the outside temp is high 90's to 100+, my reefer unit might rise like to low 0 to 5 degrees during daytime, and go down again as night temps go down. Ice cream reefers are extra insulated just for that purpose. Btw I have a TK sb190 unit, newer eng. but '03 trailer.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Could be any number of things...dirty condensor, low freon, leaky compressor...

If you load fresh picked watermelons in Geogia in August on a hot sunny day, and set the temp to 57, even a brand new unit with everything working top notch won't reach the setpoint for probably two days or more.

We used to lease some 387 Peterbilts with dual stacks. The pipes were short enough and not turned, so that they shot exhaust right back at the unit. The leasing company refused to turn or modify the stacks so we turned the trucks back in.

NavigatorWife and tangerineGT Thank this.
  6. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    For a unit to pull an MT box to 4 degrees in the middle of summer ain't bad. Utility trailers do not normally have real thick insulation, or at least mine did not.If TK checked it out, I would load the wagon and go.

7. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    Tell him to look in the guages section to see what the high side and low side pressure is and then call TK and tell them the situation . Then ask if those pressures are in line where they should be ..

I have never had a problem at -10 , now I have had issues when its set at say -20 for icecream...

8. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Also, it is much harder to pull an empty box down to -10 than it is a loaded one, especially in the summer and humidity makes it worse. Even on a cool fall day it can take close to an hour to get to minus 10. An empty box in 100 degree heat I n the hot sun you are pretty much wishing on a star.

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Older equipment with a few issues, this sounds typical and within "norm". If the chute is dumping too much air near the front of the trailer this will exacerbate cooling issues in the summer but it doesn't sound like this is an issues if you can get it down to -4 empty and door closed.

We have some new thermo-kings and these things are awesome. With the door open to a hot warehouse (to cool the floor loaders at Sterelite who asked for the favor) and outside temp near 100 F, I set the unit to 55 and it easily ran internal temp down to 55 and held it there. Closed up, they can run down to -10 really quick at 95 degrees outside and empty. These new units seem to have an impressive temperature in/out differential capacity

precisionpower Thanks this.
  10. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    As reefers age, their insulation loses its value
    http://www.thermoking.com/news-article.aspx?id=245

loose_leafs Thanks this.
  11. redimpss5

redimpss5 Light Load Member

May 5, 2012
    Hayward Ca.
    1st, you cant run the unit with the doors open, then the curtain must be in good shape to work corectly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.