Companies that pay for your cdl

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by iamchrisstone, Aug 31, 2014.

1. iamchrisstone

iamchrisstone Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2014
    quick question. what all companies pay for you to go to cdl school or help you get your cdl? i have someone that wants to get in the industry and he wants to look at all companies that offer this. he is located in indiana near indy, but willing to travel if he must. thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tell him to check out Millis Transfer. They have a school in Trenton, Ohio north of Cincinnati.

iamchrisstone Thanks this.
  4. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    There are several companies that have their own certified CDL schools. Usually they will send you to their preferred doctor to take a physical in which they pay. They may require you to have a CDL Permit which comes out of your pocket. Then once you get your CDL, you pay for it up front, and turn in receipt for your CDL and then you get reimbursed. Getting into trucking isn t hard at all. As long as you have a good MVR, and can pass a DOT physical. Keep in mind they may require a 1 yr commitment for their CDL training

iamchrisstone Thanks this.
  5. iamchrisstone

iamchrisstone Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2014
    yeah we figures as much. do you happen to know of any companies by name that i can direct him to?

6. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I would recommend doing a search on company paid CDL Training. I know a few companies like Schneider, Werner, Swift, most of your larger carriers. Out of the ones I mentioned, I would recommend Schneider out of the 3. I went through their school almost 14 yrs ago

irishramblernv Thanks this.
  7. bigkev1115

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Also too, if you live close to a truck stop, you can grab one of those truck driving job booklets and they have several more company listings that offer paid CDL training

8. moraramis

moraramis Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    Prime has a cdl school and they'll start you off at a decent pay rate afterwards. http://www.primeinc.com/paid-apprenticeship-cdl-training But yes as others have said if a company pays for your training they require you to stick with them for a period of time, or you'll owe them the cost of the education.

Some others are:

Roehl
    Central Refrigerated Service
    Frozen Food Express
    Wil-Trans
    Milan Express
    R.E. West

And many others....

One piece of advice though, when talking to recruiters ask about Per Diem and if its optional. Per Diem might sound good on the surface because they only show your wages as 35 cents per mile on your w2, while in reality paying you 3 cents more a mile in per diem. Problem is while you are making 38 cents per mile they are only contributing into your 401k at 35 cents per mile. When they figure how much taxes to pay on your behalf they do it 35 cents per mile which means less is being paid into medicare thus reducing the amount being paid out to you when you finally need it. Also should you get hurt on the job your workmans comp will only be 70% of 35 cents per mile and not 38 since 35 is what is on your w2. Companies are exploiting a loop hole in the per diem tax rules and using it to reduce their payroll taxes. In the end it benefits them more than it does you so don't agree to it.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Millis Transfer is a good choice, but they only run Eastern half of USA.

Celadon in Indianapolis.
    Midwest-coast Transport
    Southern Refrigerated Transport

Schneider has a good deal; will pay for private CDL school. Make some real good money with Schneider tanker division.

irishramblernv Thanks this.
  10. wd40

wd40 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2013
    If at all possible...try your jr. College or tech school. My wife and I live in Tn. And we obtained the lottery grant offered here. We both walked out of a two month CDL class for $700 each!

11. cardinals1970

cardinals1970 Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2013
    New Albany, IN
    No company will pay you to get a CDL because you are not an employee until you pass your CDL test. Now a lot have paid training after you get a CDL, for example Prime Inc is about to raise their paid training to $700 before taxes. However the month that you are learning to get your CDL is unpaid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.