obtaining cdl

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by newbie89, Sep 12, 2014.

1. newbie89

newbie89 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    I recently got a class a without airbrakes....if I get passenger and school bus endorsements will they allow me to take airbrakes test in the bus? And will it still be a class a license?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbie89

newbie89 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    In Texas by the way

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Why don't you just go back in and take the airbrakes test?

5. Groo

Groo Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    That's an odd one. You generally have to test with the equipment you'd be licensed for. I think you'd first have to qualify for an unrestricted B to take the P test with an air-brake B bus.
    What would make the most sense is you'd end up with an unrestricted at the B level and restricted at the A, but I doubt they have a code for that. Best to ask someone at the TX DMV.

6. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    There is no such thing as CDL A without air brakes. Cant be done. You can get CDL B without air brake endorsement and get a P or S endorsement, but you most likely have to have the air brake to go with them.

7. Groo

Groo Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    sure it can be done. If you haul a heavy trailer behind a 1ton, you need an A. If you are getting paid for it, you need a CDL.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Air brakes is not an endorsement. It is on your license as a restriction, like wearing corrective lenses etc. And you can get a cdl without it. In some states, like Cali, you can actually get a non-commercial class A license. Sometimes it's needed for Motorhomes towing stuff.

9. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I did not say there was an air brake endorsement for CDL A, I meant was you can't get a CDL A without passing the air brake written test, just to clarify. In that regard I always thought all states are required to be the same, maybe not but should be consistent. With a class B CDL air brakes are most certainly an endorsement. In Michigan we have an RV Doubles endorsement on just a regular drivers license believe it or not.

10. Groo

Groo Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Regardless of what is on the written test, you have to pass the driving test with appropriate equipment or you get a restricted license. FWIW, MI also has non-CDL class A licenses.

11. Wingsabovetheearth

Wingsabovetheearth Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Doesn't it still mainly fall on overall GVW? Motorhomes and such, in Ca, at least, do require the non commercial license. Not all RV's have air brakes, but when hooked with a trailer or two (which also needs the doubles/triples endorsements technically) the GVW becomes large enough that the license "rating" (b, a) goes up.

Also, at one point I worked for a small hotshot company who had a dually and 3 axle 45' flatbed trailer. The guy driving it took his class A test in that truck. He passed, and received his class A but it had an airbrake restriction because he tested in a vehicle that did NOT have air brakes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.