Canada - 53' Doubles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Criminey Jade, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    I've been in Manitoba since yesterday and I have seen several tractors running with 53' doubles. I do not see this configuration in the US. Is it because it is illegal in the US, or is there another reason? Drivers simply won't do it? How much weight do these companies load in the trailers when they run 53' doubles? How hard are they to manage when you're pulling them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I've seen them too.now that's what I call doubles.Was it Basin doubles?I have seen them in the states.

4. Criminey Jade

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    Nope. Dry vans with reefer on either both boxes or the rear box. I've also seen double hoppers and double tankers, but the rear tanker was a shortie.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That's all I ever seen was Basin doubles when I went to Canada and they were also on the U.S side but close to the Canadian border.

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

In ONTARIO and QUEBEC they are LCV's Long Combination Vehicles and only qualified companies / drivers can pull them
    The LCV program consists of 'turnpike doubles' generally operating on a primary LCV network of 'freeway-style' highways and to and from approved origin/destination locations in close proximity to the primary network.

7. peterd

peterd Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2012
    St.Catharines ON
    You must mean Bison.I've been here 9 years.We run twin 53's all over out west and in the east from Quebec along the 401 corridor to Windsor ON.

pattyj Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I was going to say Bison but didn't sound right,lol.Its been quite some time since I went to Canada but I thought wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! when I first seen 53ft doubles.I imagine you have specific routes you must follow don't you?

9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Heard they'll be pulling them in Ca. soon. NOT!

10. Criminey Jade

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    I am parked looking a two Bison LCVs parked next to each other right now. Those must be quite a circus to coordinate.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.