Trucking Jobs New Driver Jobs Flatbed Jobs Tanker Jobs Refrigerated Jobs Auto Hauler Jobs
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bainbridge , GA
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 2 Times

    Swift Academy Question

    i applied thursday got call friday and was told to e sign paperwork and call recruiter back monday i have a question she told me i can go to milligton for 3 weeks but i already have a Class A CDL i got it 6 years ago i drove otr for 2 months which i know is no time at all but since most of the class is based on getting your CDL's is there another option for me.. can i go right out with a mentor or still have to go to academy....it has been 5+ years since my last driving job and i would like a few day refresher on pre trip and backing but 3 weeks ...i dont know ....does anyone know if they have another option in this situation ? Thanks in Advance

  2. #2
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bainbridge , GA
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 2 Times
    no answers???

  3. #3
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Medford, OR
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked: 49 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by shanet60 View Post
    no answers???
    Don't be so impatient. Most of us on here are regular OTR truckers and have limited access to the internet, so 3 hours would be considered a really fast response.

    Your question is best answered by your recruiter. She can consider your experience and situation and find the best fit for you, and she's the only person in the company with the time and power to make the decision to fit you in where you belong.

    However, I can tell you from being a current student at Swift academy (Lewiston), from what I've heard, they'll probably require you to do the full 3-week academy. Yes, this will be a lot of repeat stuff for you. But there will be plenty of valuable refresher and "company culture" stuff as well. And you'll get to be the prodigy student who already knows everything - just don't let it show or go to your head! Your only other option is to go straight to orientation at your home terminal, which may not be enough time or material for you to be safe on the road after 5+ years away.

    This company is the largest OTR truckload carrier, and they're a machine with little consideration for your personal situation. So you just need to find out which one of their slots you are closest to, and make it work. Any way you get in, you'll find lots of times over the years when you're ignored and can't fit in to the machine and can't get what you want. Suck it up, learn how to put up and shut up, and you'll do well. If you want personal consideration and sum speshul lovin', you need a small carrier, with all their different quirks.

  4. #4
    Light Load Member
    Member Since
    Mar 2010
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Trucker?
    2 Years
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked: 91 Times
    Here in San Antonio they said that everyone must go through the academy as they got rid of the refresher classes and claimed "most needed the full class".

  5. #5
    Bobtail Member
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bainbridge , GA
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked: 2 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlockhart View Post
    Don't be so impatient. Most of us on here are regular OTR truckers and have limited access to the internet, so 3 hours would be considered a really fast response.

    Your question is best answered by your recruiter. She can consider your experience and situation and find the best fit for you, and she's the only person in the company with the time and power to make the decision to fit you in where you belong.

    However, I can tell you from being a current student at Swift academy (Lewiston), from what I've heard, they'll probably require you to do the full 3-week academy. Yes, this will be a lot of repeat stuff for you. But there will be plenty of valuable refresher and "company culture" stuff as well. And you'll get to be the prodigy student who already knows everything - just don't let it show or go to your head! Your only other option is to go straight to orientation at your home terminal, which may not be enough time or material for you to be safe on the road after 5+ years away.

    This company is the largest OTR truckload carrier, and they're a machine with little consideration for your personal situation. So you just need to find out which one of their slots you are closest to, and make it work. Any way you get in, you'll find lots of times over the years when you're ignored and can't fit in to the machine and can't get what you want. Suck it up, learn how to put up and shut up, and you'll do well. If you want personal consideration and sum speshul lovin', you need a small carrier, with all their different quirks.
    As i do understand what u are saying that is still over $3000 worth of training for someone who already has cdl i will be more than willing to go with a mentor for up to eight weeks if needed but to have to pay that kind of money when i already did the first time ...i dont know but thank you for the reply

  6. #6
    Medium Load Member
    Member Since
    Mar 2009
    Location
    fair lawn nj
    Trucker?
    0-1 Year
    Posts
    626
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked: 209 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by shanet60 View Post
    As i do understand what u are saying that is still over $3000 worth of training for someone who already has cdl i will be more than willing to go with a mentor for up to eight weeks if needed but to have to pay that kind of money when i already did the first time ...i dont know but thank you for the reply
    The insurance companys dictate how much retraining you require.It's their game and you have to play by their rules,just suck it up and do the time.

  7. #7
    Heavy Load Member LadyTrucker99's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Trucker?
    3 Years
    Age
    46
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked: 113 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by shanet60 View Post
    i applied thursday got call friday and was told to e sign paperwork and call recruiter back monday i have a question she told me i can go to milligton for 3 weeks but i already have a Class A CDL i got it 6 years ago i drove otr for 2 months which i know is no time at all but since most of the class is based on getting your CDL's is there another option for me.. can i go right out with a mentor or still have to go to academy....it has been 5+ years since my last driving job and i would like a few day refresher on pre trip and backing but 3 weeks ...i dont know ....does anyone know if they have another option in this situation ? Thanks in Advance
    most likely-if you only had 2 months experience--they will make u go through classes again.