01 9400 light issues

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by double yellow, Oct 5, 2015.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Right turn signal lights, right dash indicator, right side of the 4-way flashers, and both tractor tail lights stopped working suddenly.

When I attempt to use the 4-ways or turn right, I can still hear the flasher relay clicking...

Swapping right and left turn signal relays did nothing. Swapping trailer and tractor tailight fuses did nothing

Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    I would tend to believe it is in the turn signal switch. Could just be bad contact. Try pulling the plug out of the turn signal switch and if you have some penetrating oil spray the contacts. Electrical contact cleaner works the best! Good luck! I keep a couple jumper wires with alligator clips in the truck so I can jump contacts to get direct power.

double yellow Thanks this.
  4. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Could be, but I kinda doubt it. Tapping the switch does nothing and I'm not sure how it could affect the tractor tail lights anyway.

Went around some curves and the lights briefly started working. Then drove through a bombshelled truckstop parking lot -- not fast, but the holes were deep enough to make the suspension creak & groan. Afterwards the lights were working and continue to do so.

So I'm thinking there is either a short rubbed through somewhere that intermittently makes contact or there is a weak ground somewhere that intermittently loses contact.

I'm guessing this will be a fun one to track down

truckon Thanks this.
  5. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    I didn't read your first post correctly. I thought the trailer had the same symptoms. If I have any more suggestions i'll get back to you.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    When you lose one side completely, only the signal stat is common. The signal stat sends out power to multiple left and right turn circuits. If any one circuit failed, or relay, only a section of the truck would not work.

7. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Does tail light power go through the signal stat also, or am I looking at 2 separate issues?

8. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Does everything work properly on the truck when the trailer is disconnected? I would also start pulling all the lights out of the back of the truck. Put on directional causing the problem and start wiggling the wires trying to narrow down where the problem exists.

9. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Quick update:

Turns out @The Admiral & @Heavyd were right -- it is the signal stat. Or more accurately, the wiring ( @Skate-Board ) running along the steering column to the signal stat (which has previously caused an intermittent cruise/jake issue with the clutch switch). Grabbing that bundle and wiggling it can cause all sorts of fun things to happen, or not happen...

As for the tail lights, both bulbs were burned out which I'm hoping is just a coincidence.

10. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Love this guy!! "caused all kinds of fun things to happen" I grabbed a handful of wires once and filled the cab with smoke. ( fun ) Air line broke on Bostrom, seat collapsed and cut fire extinguisher open. ( more fun)
    Lost all trailer air at once and locked up mty at 70. ( Barrel of monkeys fun on that one )

Shifter came out of the floor once, ( heck yeah ) and a set of duals came off and hauled arse into the boonies in Bama never to be seen again.

Trucking! You gotta love it!

11. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Lol....I swear, that wiggle test works most of the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.