04 Signal Light Short

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by 04 LowMax, Oct 7, 2016.

1. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    My 04 lowmax has over time developed a strange condition with my right signal. It stays lit up all the time as soon as I turn on the cab marker lites (position 1 on the headlite sw). But here's the funny part(s). It still flashes a right turn properly when I use the turn signal. And, it only stays lit up on the trailers (B train), not on the trucks fender turn signal. This does NOT change when I unplug the trailer cord, so we can eliminate the trailers. Must be a couple of wires rubbed together somewhere in the dash, and if my thinking is right, it has to be before the turn signal unit on the steering column, since the turn signals will work when needed. Any helpful ideas will be appreciated. Cetane please tell me this is not part of the #### multiplex system the gauges run on.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    It could be in the light cord it self.

Check plugs on trailer cord also.

You have to circuits going to trailer for clearance lights. When you put the headlight switch up to 1st position that will also light up the tail lights on trailer and truck.

You could have that circuit touching the right turn signal wire in the plug .

04 LowMax Thanks this.
  4. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    You have 2 wires rubbed together where the harness makes the bend by the hood hinge. Fairly common problem.

04 LowMax Thanks this.
  5. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
  6. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Update. Found and fixed today. Wasn't either of the things suggested above although it could have been. No wires rubbed together, a poor splice somewhere, nope. A BAD GROUND. On this truck the headlights as well as the turn/clearance light on the fender get their ground from a bolt on the radiator, attached with ring connectors. While low beams worked ok, when I would switch to hi, both hi and low on that side would go out, and the signal indicator in the dash would light up. The current was being fed through the headlight filament, but instead of coming back to ground on the rad and complete the circuit, the power took a different path, lighting up the turn signal on the trailers and in the dash, but not on the truck fender. Grounds are often overlooked, but can be just as big a culprit in electrical issues as poor power, and as in my case, can give strange symptoms. Fortunately I found this one fairly quickly, as I was able to make the lights go on and off by wiggling the harness under the fender. I hope this helps someone else out sometime. And thanks to all those who come back and post an update on their problem, whether fixed or not.

IH Truck Guy and Cetane+ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.