04+ VNL drive axle shocks and upper bracket mount holes

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Slow302, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Slow302

Slow302 Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    I have 04 670 and when i bought my truck back in 08 i noticed that shocks on front drive axle are mounted on bracket in upper hole and rear axle shocks are mounted in lower hole. And that where i keep them. I see many VNL are same way except a few. Can someone tell me why use lower hole in upper bracket on rear axle and not both in upper hole. Looks like if you use lower hole shock gonna be compressed more than front ones and wont have much up travel ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It most likely has to do with using parts "Off the Shelf" vs. manufacturing a whole new bracket with just one hole in it, that way the same part can be used for multiple applications.

The reason the shock is in the bottom hole in the rear position has to do with suspension travel and geometry, the engineers found the shock worked best in that position.

If you see other trucks with the shock in upper position in the rear, it could be the idiot mechanic who changed the shocks at one time put them in the wrong hole.

It happened to a friend of mine who had his shocks changed, he had to take it back to the shop and have them move it to the lower hole.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.