'06 Century Drivabilty Issues

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by MorningStar1, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Worn rear sway bar bushings will cause it to wander. They may look good, but still let the axle shift. Park on flat ground,chock steer tires,release the brakes. Push on each drive tire like your trying to roll it. Should be no movement.

MorningStar1, lilillill and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Speaking of the rear, what about grease on the 5th wheel plate? Mine came with a supposed greaseless plate. I ended up greasing it anyway because it caused my truck to feel skittish on slippery roads.

MorningStar1 Thanks this.
  4. MorningStar1

MorningStar1 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Southeast Texas
    Worked and saved for 4 years to buy this truck and paid cash for it. With trucking the way it is in Southeast Texas, I have to take the good with the bad and hang onto what I have. Yes, I have thought about parking it and buying another, but that will have to wait until monkey boy is out of office and we have someone actually trying to run a successful country.

jsnell and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. MorningStar1

Jul 1, 2016
    Southeast Texas
    I grease the crap out of that thing. Never runs dry.

6. MorningStar1

Jul 1, 2016
    Southeast Texas
    I will try that tomorrow. Thanks

7. Glenn West

Glenn West Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I have an 06. It wandered badly. King pins and 1 tie rod helped a lot. Not until I adjusted the play out of the TRW steering box did it mostly go away. Still have a little but believe that is road ruts.

MorningStar1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Grease less plate. Blinks** blinks** No such thing. In fact we had a mat on our 5th wheel under the Ravens, because we did not drop and hook hardly at all. Maybe 4 times a year and that was "My" trailer.

5th wheels get greased.

I bang my head against the wall with this subject and consider one thing. It's far fetched and crazy but hear me out.

Let's see you leave the Knoxville Petro in TN on the west side, if you remember when there was ice on the crown of the pavement under the yellow line as you turn north to head to the freeway yonder your truck will have understeer something awful. It would not turn very well.

The next issue.

Does she sit square on the wheels? Frame rails nice and normal? Or does she sit at a angle like a horsewhipped and totally abused trailways bus leaning on a busted front spring due to too much heavy speed cornering when overloaded in the south. Follow me so far?

Next thought.

Possibly you stuck new duals or sets on that tractor one or more inches off off the factory spec size maybe?

One last shot in the dark, it's crazy but bear with me.

Perhaps you hit a hole, a really bad bridge the kind that bounces you up and then lands badly ont he front end when the tandems slam onto it throwing everything you own straight forward to the dash. You think maybe the air bags on the back of the cab at the catwalk were over worked in a moment of your steering effort at the wheel knocking someting off. It's almost unnatural to consider a steering column maintaining a straight and true connection from your hands to the front end.

A inspiration....

If you are running a electric steering pump? Possibly one side is getting too much or too little voltage? LIke a ordinary hydraulic issue when one of the sides of a older pump quits.

Good idea? Bad ideas? Shoot me awful thoughts? Cheer me? What say you?

9. MorningStar1

Jul 1, 2016
    Southeast Texas
    Can someone translate this into English for me?

10. MorningStar1

Jul 1, 2016
    Southeast Texas
    I've done the sector shaft adjustment. I don't know if I did it right because I don't know if the engine is supposed to be running or not during adjustment, but that's a moot point anyway being that close to the fan.

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

I respect your post and answer. Thank you for putting up with me. It's intimidating when one knows about truck systems and the fix is not obvious. I look forward to the Conclusion Sir. Again, thank you very much kind sir.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.