06 detroit diesel in a freightliner c120 Blows black smoke at 1200 rpms.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by my user name, Jul 31, 2015.

1. my user name

my user name Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    Ok, I've had this truck in the detroit shop for a month. She blows black smoke when accelerating. It mostly happens around 1200 rpms and it's really bad when the cruise control is on. With cruise engaged she will blow a huge cloud of black smoke just as she starts up an incline, and then she's fine. but she blow smoke on manual throttle as well. There is no power loss and the mpg is about 6 if I keep her at 65mph.

She has had an overhead done and been checked for air leaks 3 different times. We have replaced the turbo actuator, ecm, delta p sensor, boost sensor, vpod, air filters and fuel filters. The turbo has been removed and visually inspected (it's a little over a year old).

The fuel injectors look fine on the computer, but the shop is saying we should put in a whole new set. Any ideas what the problem could be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    You haven't said anything about the egr valve
    I'd start there

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    or egr valve or high fuel pressure ...

5. my user name

May 19, 2015
    I already replaced the EGR valve. what do you mean by high fuel pressure?

6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    high fuel pressure means high fuel pressure. at 1800 rpm after fuel pump fuel pressure must be 80 to 94 psi. If pressure is higher then that you will have black smoke, no power loss. the pressure is regulated by fuel pump regulator and by check valve on return line.

read this document and check your engine serial number.
    https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ddcsn/18SP607Rev4.pdf

7. my user name

May 19, 2015
    Wouldn't that make it smoke constantly? I will definitely check that out.

8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have not seen constantly smoking engines with high fuel pressure. they smoke at certain operational conditions.. it's easy to diagnose the high pressure issue on epa07 and epa10 engines. hook up dddl and monitor the value. epa04 engine does not have fuel pressure sensor. you need to mount mechanical pressure gauge on fuel line after fuel pump.

my user name Thanks this.
  9. my user name

May 19, 2015
    Ok, I have it at the Detroit shop right now. I will have them look into it on Monday morning. Much appreciated

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.