06 volvo 780, 530hp isx problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fuelofire, Sep 23, 2010.

1. fuelofire

fuelofire Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Mc Minnville, TN
    Im positive the fan is not the problem. I have problems on flat ground where the truck is running hot. I've driven this truck for awhile b4 this problem and to me, my fan would never have to come on to cool the engine on flat ground... now, temps above 80, just going over a highway overpass requires the fan to come on

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fuelofire

fuelofire Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Mc Minnville, TN
    temperature probes didn't work. I know I was getting faulty reading because the inlet temperature was reading the lower then outlet temperature. I need to find a way to measure the actual coolant temperatures of those points.

4. bladehate

bladehate Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    you can buy a cheap infrared thermometer from harbor freight probably. is there alot of dirt or bugs in front of the radiator?

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    The two places I would look: Have you had the engine tuned recently? My '07 780 with a 530 ISX seemed to heat up easily, but power and mileage both seemed good. After the tuneup it doesn't heat up nearly as quickly and the fuel mileage came way up.
    I also had trouble with the main belt tensioner, and since it controls both the water pump and the fan, might be worth a closer look.

6. fuelofire

fuelofire Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Mc Minnville, TN
    I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure by what you mean by "tuned." The truck is 6 years old, and I've owned it for over 3 of those years and have had the overhead ran 3 times. It would have been only 2 times but the Volvo/ Kenworth dealer in Sioux falls, SD doesn't have a quality service department. Be wary if you ever go there, I'm not say that they don't have a few good techs, but the majority of them are useless, taken my truck there 2 or 3 times when I first started running the truck for MCT, and they screwed it up every time.

Anyways, getting back to the main topic, I'm not sure what you mean by "having the engine tuned" and my experience with these things and dealings with all the shops that I've been into and out of is that there's not much you can do to the electronics equipment on the Cummins outside of the features they allow you to change. So, I'm thinking maybe by "Tuned" you might be referring to running the overhead where they check valve timing and rocker arm clearances and such. So, if so, yeah, I've had that done. If not, I'd really like to clarify what you mean.
    Thanks

7. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    yes tuneup and running the overhead are the same. When I had mine done the valves were pretty close, but the mechanics said my injectors were way off, and I have seen significant mpg increase.

8. pichu

pichu Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    mexifornia
    do you check the oil sensor temperature in OHM??(over 230*)if the sensor read bad the water is up too!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  9. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Mine is an 05 Volvo with the Cummins. I have/had a similar problem as the OP describes, and I cant figure it out either.

My solution: I have installed a manual fan switch on the dash. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Going up up a hill? I anticipate the heat, and turn the fan on. Truck has never got any where near 200F, generally it stays right in the middle on the gauge.

10. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    my late 04 model has a plug under the hood that will allow the fan to kick on and off at a faster interval. it is a fail safe and it bypasses the thermostat on the fan clutch. im not sure if the 06 has that or not.

it makes my AC in the truck about 10 degrees cooler as well lol

11. fuelofire

fuelofire Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Mc Minnville, TN
    OHM, I've been thinking about this for awhile, I'm not sure what OHM means.... I don't know if the oil temp sensor is working... I'm not sure how I'd measure that one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.