07 Peterbilt 379 starter/relay problem

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by scottclymer, Dec 5, 2010.

1. scottclymer

scottclymer Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Friday morning (1am) I pulled into a fuel isle in Lake Station, IN. Turned the truck off, fueled and grabbed the receipt. When I came back out to start the truck I got nothing. I turned the key on, let the guages cycle and turned it to start.. no clicking, no anything (I had well over 12 volts of power). So I ended up sleeping in the fuel isle till 7am when the local shop opened. The mechanic came to the conclusion that the relay was bad and had somehow fused into the on position supplying the starter with power and burning it up.

Well he didn't have the relay and I had a load that was urgent in Detroit so he gave me a bump start and I proceded on my way.

After unloading, getting a second opinion from my local shop in Romulus(which yielded the same conclusion), and spending the night. I showed up at the Romulus peterbilt first thing saturday morning. They replaced the starter and relay and everything was perfect. So I started toward Boston for my next assignment and ended up stopping in Milldale, CT for the night. After waking up I shut the truck off seeing as I was going to do laundry, eat, and shower. I came back out a couple hour later and I'm in the same situation:biggrin_25511: Why are these relays going out? Is there another problem that we are missing?

please help!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    You have some thing causing the relay to stick open, thus the fusing in the open position. Wiring is my 1st guess. 2nd is ignition.

4. scottclymer

scottclymer Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Well I got a new ignition switch put in with no effect. Now at the Peterbilt dealer in Indianapolis. They put in another starter. After backing up to the trailer I was connecting lines when I heard a noise. Went up to the front of the truck and could hear the dang starter spinning. Went and grabbed a mechanic. By the time he got out the starter was burned up. We popped the hood and the sucker was still smoking!!!

So I've been through two brand new starters, one new relay, and one new ignition switch. All that's left is wiring right? What would cause the starter to randomly engage?

My only guess is that a wire somewhere is being shorted out? any other opinions or insights? I hope these guy get this problem fixed right soon...

5. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    The starter is getting "power" from some place in the wiring going to the starter.

6. Orange Truck

Orange Truck Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Rockton,IL
    Hey do you have an Ultrashift tranny? I have had some problems like yours . I have a 05 379 C-15 Ultrashift tranny. Over the years I have had all kinds of starting problems.

7. Brown33fox

Brown33fox Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I got the correct answer ok open your hood.. Climb up on ur driver side there will be a box little box bolted to ur firewall just under neath the window... Take that box apart... Will slide apart... Go inside ur truck and in ur fuse panel take your horn fuse and plug it in there and it will work... Got. The answer from peterbilt in missouri...hope that solves everything!

blade and ralphbohm Thank this.
  8. Makdaddy

Makdaddy Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2016
    The horn relay behind the dash saved me some $$$ thank you.
    Truck would not start but had voltage. Disconnect the starter relay, pulled the horn relay from behind the dash. Turned key and made contact with the relay and she fired up. I had to work it a bit to make it fit but the good news is that it will only fit in the right way....
    Thanks for sharing this.....

blade Thanks this.
  9. rick3305rick

rick3305rick Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2013

Ive got a 2001 Pete 387 with C12. I bought it about 9 months ago. Someone put a push button next to the ignition for some reason, I found out it looked like the starter solenoid was sticking and they put that in instead of fixing the starter, it stuck a few times to where I could hear the starter spinning and disconnected the batteries and it started working right again. About a month later I started the truck in Akron, Oh to back in to the dock and I heard the starter stick and flames and smoke I could see through the hood gap. I jumped out disconnected batteries and luckily was able to get the fire out, was mainly ground wires and the wire loom. Thought I was done, had a buddy tow it to his shop just North of Pittsburgh and luckily he said it was nt as bad as it looked. The button they hooked up probably caused it along with the faulty starter or solenoid. Had the wires fixed And ECM checked along with getting rid of the button and new altenator and starter. It worked fine up until yesterday I was up around Cleveland, Oh and just got unloaded and started truck and was spinning the tires trying to get out on the ice, finally got out and was smelling something that was odd so I assumed tire or clutch maybe and didn't think anything of it. Got to shut doors and could hear the starter was spinning, hurried up and disconnected the batteries and now everytime I bump the battery cable to the batteries it archs and spins the starter motor, not kickig it in to turn the motor but just spinning the starter. Im guessing its fried now. What is it with these, this is the newer starter, I thing the M39 or T39, its the smaller one with high torque, the last one was the bigger starter. Is this the starter causing these problems or something in the truck? Seems like everything Im reading is mostly Peterbilts. Is there any way of avoiding this so the starter has no way of getting power once the engine is running? Maybe a toggle switch even after the engine is running you could switch it off and it cuts the juice in that wire while your not using it? It wouldn't be a big deal to switch it on and off, if it's possible. Sorry about the long message but the last time this happeed and I actually had fire I almost just let it cook figuring Id get another truck, luckily I didn't because my insurance (FULL COVERAGE) says that electrical fires AREN'T COVERED. That's a bunch of crap, luckily I got that out before it got bad. Any info would be appreciated.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    electrical fires not covered?

Get another insurance company.

As for the problem, it may be a problem with the wiring harness, so have the mechanic trace the wires from the solenoid from the starter back, not the BIG wire but the small one. If he is good, he can do a couple things, one is to add a relay in between, this way you can cut the power to the small wire. Otherwise, I would get rid of the truck.

I've got a question, you did have someone look at the truck before you bought it, you did do an ecm dump and a dyno?

ralphbohm Thanks this.
  11. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    The starter you got was a high torque 39MT. These have replaced the old dinosaur 42 MT. They are much better starters. They fail less often. Nine months is not common, but it does happen. You may have a common Peterbilt 387 issue causing the starter to stay engaged after engine starts. It is the starter relay located in the upper right corner of the fuse box under the hood on passenger side. Pull it out and examine. It is probably green with corrosion. Replace it even if it is not. You are going to need another 39MT starter also. Sorry.

ralphbohm Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.