09 Prostar AC problem

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by texasmorrell, Feb 11, 2016.

1. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    AC keeps shutting off. Compressor, juice, thermistors, expansion valves all good. No fault codes. Compressor just shuts off and will come back on after few minutes to an hour and run for few minutes to hours. Side question, the little icon next to the direction compass in the display that looks like a snowflake, that indicates the compressor is on, right? If its off the compressor is off? Any ideas whats going on?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Compressors are supposed to cycle. Certain conditions need to be met for the compressor to operate. Static pressure with the system off needs to be high enough, which indicates the charge is good and ambient air temp isn't too low. Usually that is taken care of by the trinary switch. Next is the thermostatic switch inside your evaporator core. Once the temperature in the core gets to around freezing, it will kick the compressor out to prevent the core from freezing up. What is the outside air temp and what is the air temp coming out of your vents at max a/c and high fan speed?

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We see often the magnetic coil that engages the clutch gets weak once the compressor is hot with the engine and can no longer generate a strong enough magnetic field to engage the clutch. I am not aware of any icons on the display that are related to compressor operation.

texasmorrell and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  5. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Thanks HD. Is there a way to test that magnetic coil? Can the clutch be replaced or is it better to buy a whole new compressor?

As for the icon its located next to the outside temp display and looks like an asterisk. Any idea what it is?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    For the clutch, this is how I do it. This is dangerous, so be warned and do this at your own risk! With the engine running, turn on the a/c and let it run until it quits working. Now, I have a laptop hooked up so I know when it is actually suppose to be on. When it is suppose to be on, but it isn't, I will tap the face of the clutch with small hammer. If it engages, then I know the clutch is NFG. Since the fan is spinning and belts are right there turning it is dangerous so becareful! I have never replaced the clutch on a Sanden style compressor, always only replaced the whole thing.

I found this regarding the asterisk.

DESCRIPTION

An asterisk or star displayed on the lower right quadrant of dash information display.
    SYMPTOMS

There is no failure related to this asterisk-it is just visible in the display.

TROUBLESHOOTING

No troubleshooting is required as there is no failure.

RESOLUTION

To identify the reason for the asterisk you can turn the display button so the lower right quadrant is highlighted, then press the button to toggle to the next screen. The asterisk symbol tells you that there is an additional message available. This is most likely going to be a compass module but following these instructions will allow you to see what that message is.

texasmorrell Thanks this.
  7. texasmorrell

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    That icon is just an indicator that there is a message? I cannot believe it. But I do. I have wondered for so long. Great to know. Thanks HD.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.