1 gallon oil overfill

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Nickstar, Aug 30, 2016.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't think one time overfilling will hurt anything But you need to start watching that.I overfilled a trk and heard about it from the companies mechanic. He said it will hurt the engine if I keep adding too much oil.the :fill Mark was just above the dipstick like an eighth of an inch and that was plenty oil.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I'd do like @Ridgeline suggested and remove the oil filter & drain it. And if you don't have a dpf, I'd have no qualms dumping an oil-filter's worth of oil into 100+ gallons of diesel...

Terry270 and scottied67 Thank this.
  4. Unchained

Unchained Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Eastern Tennessee
    Okay let's put in idiot terms for all those that think it's okay to overfill what happens if you overfill a tire with a hundred pounds of air drive down the road see how fast it blows apart what happens if you overfill the coolant overflow Reservoir drive down the road and have that s*** blowing out all over the place overfill your power steering reservoir watch it blow fluid and make one hell of a mess there's fill levels for a reason

5. Nickstar

Nickstar Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Thanks to the people for the nice responses. It's funny how some people respond thinking they know the situation I was in. The smart ### responses can be left somewhere els. The truck has been running game fine...I'm not to worried anymore...

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    A gallon might be pushing it. If its 1/4" or less over the "Full" mark I wouldn't be too concerned. IIRC the Mercedes engine doesn't use spin on oil filters so you'd have to be pretty quick with the drain plug to drop some oil out and it'll be messy.

double yellow Thanks this.
  7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    It's a %. You over fill by a gallon it's like filling a tire to 108psi.

MrEd Thanks this.
  8. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Crankcase pressure can go up, especially in a supercharged (Turbo Supercharged in this case) engine.
    The crankshaft runs in a constant mist of oil, more oil in the mist could hurt fuel mileage by causing more windage.
    These things may or may not be the case here. Does the dipstick say "Full" or "Max" on it?

9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Dispatch doesnt rule the driver..As soon as you pull away from the dock your the capt of that ship,its all on you..Engine blows,its on you,wheels fall off its on you..MAKE the time to chk that truck b4 you roll down the road..

x1Heavy and pattyj Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am a old Captian if such a word can be used. Once I had gotten short of oil for failing to check before getting into Altoona. A Star Driver gave me a few gallons the next morning saving the entire engine and giving me a lesson to remember. From that point I cleaned out all companie's allowed 5 gallon max on rotella in one of the side boxes. I might have given a few away in exchange for the help I got that day.

In today's hyper tracking computer world the driver is less free. I grow to hate dispatch more. However I temper my attude remembering a few good ones and I will run across hell for them if asked.

11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Ok..What im gonna say is splitting hairs but it a point ill be makeing...
    1 time over fill is no biggie..If its done all the time lime someone posted,that adds cc psi,more engine drag= wee bit of mpg loss,misting(as mentioned)..Now lets just say you blow some crank seals..Thats down time so its costing someone $$..
    If you top off and it needs a gallon in the 1st 5000 mi,leave it..Some engines just run that way..Thats assumeing it doesnt drop any lower..Now someone is basically todsing a gallon of oul every 5000 mi..Dont make sence to me..Besides lets just say its down a gal in 5000 mi but doesnt go lower,well part way through your oil change cycle you can add that gallon and replentish some of the lost oil additives..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.