10 meter? Ham? Cb Radio huh?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by csw1818, Jul 21, 2016.

1. csw1818

csw1818 Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    Im obviously new to this so here's the skinny. What in the heck is the difference in cbs 10 meters and ham? To my understanding ham you can potentially talk around the world? Cb is obviously only within a 10 to 15 mile radius and what the heck is a 10 meter radio? I'm trying to get into this stuff but hAlf the time I don't have a clue what I'm talking about or even looking at. I just run a peaked and tuned cobra 29 lx stock coax and power (Who knew it's actually decent in the prostars) my swr is flat and I'm still playing with the rf trying to pick up some base stations

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hudson_MacBeth

Hudson_MacBeth Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2015
    10 meters is an amateur radio band that you are required to have an amateur radio license to use legally.

Amateur radio licenses can allow higher power limits and different frequency bands than a normal cb radio. That said, an amateur radio license does NOT allow higher power to be used in the CB band.

4. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Nailed it!

I would add, before you start spending huge amounts of cash cb stuff. Get your ham license and spend your money there if a hobby in radio is what you're after. CB gets old REAL fast.

If you have a home you can build your own radio shack. Put up a tower, run 1500 watts, talk around the world, use it with your computer. All of it legal. Your own radio station. Not that nonsense like the "super bowl".

Bye bye!

I'm back quiet.

Lol!

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ok here is the deal.

Cbs are mass produce radios that have designs going back into the 60's

A 10 meter rig is a CB with additional features but just equal to a CB, it is more of a selling thing than actually 10 meter radio.

Ham radio can be a multiband radios but they made radios for 10 meters, most if not all were fm radios. No am, ssb but fm because it is a popular mode on 10 meters.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    Ok I keep quiet mostly but I've been reading a lot on here and a couple Facebook groups. And hey I'll never learn if I don't ask questions right? I might get into the 10 meter stuff don't know about the ham radio business. Its more of a "radios are cool I wanna know more" then a "I'll slap a cb in and hook the stock system up and hope for the best" (even though currently that's my setup) I ask questions and try things, different antennas, different mics etc who knows I might get into ham radios also

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Op...More to a good yet basic cb set up than a flat swr...It basically means nothing.A so called peak n tune is the same,so many golden screw drivers out there to screw the driver...

bored silly, roshea and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine was converted to a 11 meter CB radio. It's a Stryker 655. I'll let it go for $220 shipping included. Great radio I am not driving anymore so no need for it. Message me if interested.

CasanovaCruiser Thanks this.
  9. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Nice radio..I have the big brother of that..The 955..

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    CB never gets old when the ham radio operators are scratching their heads trying to figure out why your cheap CB radio hears things and talks further than their more expensive equipment being used out of band.
    When you get to that point it's quite entertaining actually. Unless you get to that point it will get old very fast.

11. csw1818

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    Ham right now is definitely over my head I was reading up on it last night and I was like a lost puppy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.