1099 as a company driver.

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by drver60021, Nov 22, 2015.

1. drver60021

drver60021 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Drivers be careful of getting 1099 as a company driver you will end up paying more taxes as a regular w4 you are not getting paid extra you can't deduct fuel and maintenance and truck payments they are just trying to pass that on to you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. outonalimb

outonalimb Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Haha .. been having a lengthy discussion about this over the past couple of days...

4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    You just have to hold out your own taxes, which no one will do.

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    If you are a company driver and getting paid on a 1099, then it is like being a Kamikaze pilot with 15 successful missions! In other words, you cannot be both. If you are a company driver, which makes you an employee, getting paid on a 1099 is to the benefit of the cheaters paying you. And if they cheat you on that, everything else they can steal from you they will.

6. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    I have learned this the hard way over the past couple of months. Putting an end to it as soon as i am back home, I am beyond done!

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Company employees aren't 1099 subcontractors.

There's a fine line that companies walk when they 1099 guys running under their authority. Lots of grey areas are being abused when it comes to how the feds define what an "independent" contractor is.

Just think about supposed "independent" contractors leasing a truck and running under the authority of said company being told what loads to run, how to run, when to run, etc.

That is not an independent subcontractor relationship.

Green_20 and outonalimb Thank this.
  8. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    Shoot, I am not even leasing the truck or anything. they are calling me sub-contractor. Should have know something was amiss when they didn't give me ANY paperwork what so ever. Only thing I have signed is my application for employment.

I got 4 pay stubs and then they stopped giving me those, saying their computer crashed, then it was out of ink... for MONTHS I didn't get a pay stub.. when I really started pushing the issue they told me I was getting 25% of each dropped load. "Would be getting 1099 so not to worry". Huh.. what? was my response.. so what your considering me a subcontractor? "yes" Then I asked for Rate Confirmations. They finally gave me pay stubs.. totally new ones including the ones they had already given me and the darn numbers on those don't match the numbers on the ones that they had originally given me..then I really started asking questions. Your pay me holiday pay and reimburse me for tolls and such but I am a contractor? Why is Rate whited out on this rate confirmation? (I had made a copy of the orignal one) Man then the runs stopped or they would have me on the road and leave me sitting for days.. Yeah watch out if they say "1099" man..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You're not an independent contractor, then again you already know that ;-)

outonalimb Thanks this.
  10. outonalimb

Nov 4, 2015
    Yeap yeap!!

11. crzyjarmans

crzyjarmans Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Home
    Why anyone would consider working on a 1099 as a company employee, is beyond me, ether stupid or lack of research on what a 1099 is

12 ga and drver60021 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.