12.7 intermittent code 43 (low coolant)

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by double yellow, Nov 26, 2015.

1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    My 2001 9400i started acting up today: while driving on a snowy road, the warn and stop engine lights came on. I pulled over and checked the flash codes: 43 low coolant and 25 no current codes.

I peeked in the expansion reservoir and the level was maybe half-way. I added about a half gallon and was on my way.

A couple hours later it does it again. Same codes, coolant level still looks OK, but this time I fill it to the brim.

An hour an a half later it comes on again just as I was pulling in for fuel. Coolant level was still at the brim. After fueling, the lights were off.

Ambient temps in the 20's Coolant temps were 180-190.

I see the sensor on the backside of the coolant tank, and I checked the terminals (they were clean). Do these sensors go bad or am I more likely looking at a wiring issue? Il

Is there any way to temporarily disable this safeguard so I can drive on Thanksgiving without worrying about being stuck on the side of the road? The TA said the sensor is not universal to Detroit, but would be a dealer item and nobody is open till Friday...

@Heavyd

trucker43 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    If you open your dash panel in front of you there's a computer. There's a metal cover over it. Take that off. There is a switch in there that says not to disable shutdown or something like that. It's VERY obvious.

double yellow Thanks this.
  4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    to my knowledge the sensor is not a particular dealer item. all it does is complete contact by way of water/coolant you can take clip off sensor & put a piece of wire or paper clip into the ends to complete circuit. these sensors do go bad. as long at it is straight wired you will be fine. it also could be a loose wire where the pigtail plugs into sensor, that is not uncommon. for future ref I get all my sensors on e bay for 40-80 % less than dealers. they are also detroit parts.

trucker43 and double yellow Thank this.
  5. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    huh?

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If it's a two wire sensor,jump it like heavyhaulerss said. Yes the sensors don't last forever. If you jump it and it goes away,then no wiring issue.

double yellow Thanks this.
  7. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Not sure what your confused about. I have the same year and engine as he does. I've already opened mine and switched it off.

8. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I say Huh? too. Please explain a little more on exact location. Thanks.

9. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    How much more exact could I be? I explained above. That's the computer that controls your lights, wipers, cruise control and everything else. Just look behind your dash. IT'S RIGHT THERE!!!

The shutoff switch is also described on the Detroit manual. You can Google it and read about it. Newer trucks have a switch on the dash you hold down for 10 seconds or you can flip the switch on the computer board like I said above.

10. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    huh? huh ? huh ? Gobble,Gobble. ;) happy turkey day skate-board. just hav'in some fun w/ ya.

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Have you had your engine washed lately? Once when I got the engine washed that coolant sensor got wet, un plugged it over night, then it was fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.