12.7 intermittent code 43 (low coolant)

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by double yellow, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Some sensors do get crud built up on the sensing tip and it can't sense the coolant anymore and thinks it is empty when in fact it isn't. You can try to clean the tip with a rag, or simply replace it.

double yellow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Paperclip worked for today, thanks @heavyhaulerss

I assume when I replace the sensor coolant will pour from the hole? Do I need to put teflon tape or paste on the new sensor's threads or is it a dry fit?

My boost pressure and ambient air temp sensors also appear to be going on the fritz: boost gauge would occassionally read 30.5 or something when the turbo was clearly not making more than 6psi. Later, the ambient air temp sensor started reading 482 or something equally wacky. I'd suspect a common ground issue, but each sensor acted up at different times from one another so I guess they just have a 15 year lifespan...

4. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    There is no common ground on most sensors. The fact that they are screwed into metal is the ground. There are literately hundreds of grounds on a truck. All those sensors are on what is called the CAN BUS. It's a protocol for sensors to grab the communications channel using limited wiring to transmit to the computer which in turn controls your gauges.

I'm guessing you have another problem. If you can get someone to sit in your cab and watch the gauges try wiggling the harness under the hood.

If this does become a problem and your truck starts to shut down remember what I posted above and turn off the engine shutdown switch.

5. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    By the way. The technical term is called the Shut-Down Override Switch

truckon Thanks this.
  6. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Here is a pic of the computer behind your dash. Right in the middle is a set of slide switches. I think the override shutdown switch is #1. There should be a description of the switches on the back panel of the cover.

I read my manual and in your case, low coolant for more then 30 seconds will cause a shutdown. Setting this switch will prevent this.

shutdown.jpg

heavyhaulerss Thanks this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Yes you will need thread sealer. You'll need to drain below level of sensor. Least messy way would be one of those hand pumps like comes with a kerosene heater.
    Definitely need to clean grounds,it may not fix the problem,but it won't hurt

8. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    if your quick enough to exchange sensors out you will not lose a lot. some come with pipe dope already on it it is usually a dark red color & dry. you can put more on if you wish. I have posted on here before. about detroits. find all the sensors that will shut engine down & have all necessary sensors as spares.. or like me replace all with all new & throw used ones in side pocket for spare.that along with the code book & the ability to read codes & you can save yourself a lot of downtime & $$

truckon Thanks this.
  9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I've had those sensors go bad, I unplug it, and put a stiff paper clip(obviously not a plastic one) in the plug ends. Basically bypassing the sensor. Use caution tho, if you blew a hose you would lose all coolant and the engine will not shut down. That sensor tells the ecm to shut the engine down upon dropping coolant. You should be fine, just pay extra attention to your temp gauge so you catch it if it blows a line while you got the sensor bypassed.

10. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    also note that the oil temp & fuel temp is the same sensor. it is on mine anyway. 23518092 just in case you can get 1 cheaper than the other.

11. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I wish I had that on my truck . I just have the spring loaded overide switch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.