12 Volt Cooking in Truck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by tscottme, Aug 24, 2016.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I found this YouTube channel dedicated to demonstrating cooking real food in one of those 12 volt lunchbox type food warmers available at the truck stops. His videos converted me to a fan of them. I had always preferred the harder to find DC Oven, which looks more like a small toaster oven. I used that for years OTR to cook, re-heat food in the truck. These videos show him cooking turkey roast, whole chicken & veggies, pork chops, and many others.

If you don't want to follow the link above just search YouTube for "12vcooking". He also has a web page http://12vcooking.com/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Tonight in my lunchbox ovens I am cooking chicken breast, rice-a-roni and carrots.
    Any meat cooks well in them, and usually pretty quickly.
    Baked potato's can take some time, so it takes a little more planning.
    Veggies cook faster if they are in their own oven with a little water in the tin. Cooking them wrapped in foil (with just a little water) takes longer, especially for carrots.

I'll do hamburgers and sloppy joe's as well.
    The ideas are probably endless.

Waggledaddy, tscottme and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  4. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Ok. So I just got one this week. I pre package all my meals in zip lock bags. Put them in a plastic container and freeze them. Just so they last longer. My wife says the bread pans are about $1 at the local grocery stores. I guess my question is, how do you cook with it? Are you putting it in pans? Do you reuse them by cleaning them out? Do you put water in the lunch box? That's what I have been doing. I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm going to watch those videos too.

5. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    @Waggledaddy hit up Walmarts for the 3 for $1disposable aluminum bread pans, I have about an inch of water in my lunchbox and use it like a double boiler, 20 minutes the water is boiling

Waggledaddy Thanks this.
  6. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    Btw I'm eating cabbage and smoked jalapeño cheddar kielbasa. Cooked for about an hour. 20160824_200658.jpg

gdyupgal and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  7. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    Ok. I'm doing it right lol. Before I was using a crock pot. But I started smelling an electric fire smell. I unplugged it immediately. Don't know if it still works or not. Pilot had the lunchbox on sale. Cheaper than amazon. So I bought it. First meal I tried doing the same thing I did with the crock pot. I would boil my zip lock bags in the water. Well. I didn't know if i could put water in this. So no water. Just pan and bags. And they melted lol. Bought dinner that night and added water the next day with no bag. Been doing good last 2 nights. Chicken fajita last night. And then above what's on the menu tonight. I'm just kind of I guess looking for different recipes or ideas. So far so good though.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

The 12vcooking guy uses the small aluminum loaf pans and he also cooks some meals using the Reynolds Oven Bags. Everything he does seems aimed at real food & no cleanup.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

Ziploc bags will melt, don't use them inside the oven. Use aluminum foil or the aluminum medium loaf pans from grocery stores or walmart. Reynolds makes oven bags meant for cooking roasts & chicken that can be used in the oven.

Waggledaddy and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  10. Waggledaddy

Feb 24, 2016
    Those bags are killer expensive. 8 bucks for 4 of them. Even on amazon. We did some experiments at home before boiling zip lock bags. My wife rapid boiled them and they didn't melt. I tried it with no water and they melted. It's really good for eggs. Makes a great omelette. Hope I can figure it out.

11. tscottme

The lunchbox oven reaches temp of 300 deg F which is much hotter than boiling water. Just take the food out of the ziploc and put it in an aluminum pan. Or pack the food from home in aluminum foil rather than ziploc.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.