1. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Replaced my 10 year old Coleman cooler with a new one. Old one just got to beat up. The new cooler burned out the same outlet I have always used. Didn't blow the fuse but actually burned out the outlet. The plug got extremely hot to the touch. Does this new cooler pull to much juice? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Also, I have an APU with a power inverter under the bunk. Would a 12v to 120v converter be a better option for running this cooler?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

The new plug probably did not fit the outlet securely, causing a resistive connection = heat...

... Philip

4. Dna Mach

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks, yes you are probably right. I notice some 12v outlets are deep and some are shallow. The Coleman has a deep plug and the outlet is shallow. Wish there was a uniform size. Wondering if the outlet depth corresponds with a rating?

5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    If is your truck I would find a good 12volt source and put on Anderson power pole connectors . I have done that with mine and no more problems . I even put them on my lunchbox oven . No more hot plug problems .

6. Dna Mach

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Well problem solved. I ended up cutting the 12v plug off the new cooler and replacing it with an old 1 into 2 12v adapter I had laying around. Much better quality and it's been running 20 hours now.

It's as cool as ice where the old one melted itself. Mind boggling that of all the places they could cheap out on, they choose a place that renders the product useless!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.