13 freightliner cascadia won't start

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Firedawg11, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Always get the kick starter option when ordering or buying a truck.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Make sure that you are getting 12v to the signal wire on the starter. If you are, needs a starter.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I second this. Even if it isn't the problem in this case, I'd get it checked anyhow. Not long ago we had nearly the exact same problem with our '12 Cascadia, and it ended up being the clutch switch. After some research I discovered that there was a recall some time ago concerning that very same part. I've also been told that a faulty coolant level sensor can cause the same issues; the mechanic mentioned that to me in passing.

x1Heavy and Firedawg11 Thank this.
  5. michaelg

michaelg Light Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm having a similar issue with my '12 Cascadia as well. Back in January when I was out in the Sierra Nevada's on Rte 395 I pulled off at a rest area for a 30.. got back in wouldn't start for about 30 minutes, and completely out in the middle of nowhere. Finallly it just cranked up and off I went.

Didn't have another issue with it until a couple weeks ago it did that again only this time at a shipper. Wouldn't turn over for about 30 minutes. Took it into FL they couldn't find a thing wrong with it.

I had them put a new clutch switch in anyway but it's still doing this occasionally. It never has a problem starting up 1st thing in the morning, but after I've been running for a while or especially in altitude after pulling. A grade is when it seems to.be an issue. It's as if I'm just turning the key without pushing in the clutch. Voltage is fine.

Only thing FL thought it *might* be was the clutch. Was tempted to just have the whole clutch replaced but it's never had a problem shifting.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I think it's a side effect of having the starter located near the exhaust. Too much heat. The starter has a thermal over temp cutout breaker to protect the starter if you crank it way too long. They get weak after a while from all the heat exposure and need to be replaced. Unfortunately they are located inside the starter. Seeing as you have to remove the starter to get at it, you might as well just put a whole new starter in.

7. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Make sure you will put new starter (not a reman). My starter was replaced (was making click but no start)by warranty had only 100000miles. Then after a month another starter failed(shop put reman). I went to FL dealer and asked they said too many defective starters come back. So I pay arround $100 extra for new starter. Now no problems so far.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  8. Firedawg11

Firedawg11 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Took my truck in for service, explained the issue and clutch switch looked worn, had that replaced since it was only a $60 fix. Haven't had a problem since that day but I know if I do the starter will be the next fix

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.