16 hour rule

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by pmcfee, May 23, 2015.

1. jerezxp7

jerezxp7 Medium Load Member

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    I'm a certified heavy equipment operator I was working in oilfields in Bakersfield 2012-2014 then I saw the dive coming so I looked back into driving truck no way was I going back to van freight then I started looking at flatbed and heavy haul specialized loads long and oversize. The company seemed good the pay seemed really good .46 a mile to start $1000 a week while training . I trained for 6 weeks learning load securement and everything I needed to know to drive hh been driving now for 5 months and although my gross is not bad my take home is not up to my standards when I do the math of how many hours am I working I get bitter I can't understand how this job can not pay someone a really good living. When I was starting the old timers on the hh there are only 15 of us said they made it 70k a year which to me sounded perfect but that's gross and if you gross 70 you take home what ? 50k then do the math 70 plus hours a week . Very disheartening. Sorry if I sounded like an ### earlier truth is I'm a little posed at myself for not joining my brother in North Dakota 5 months ago but I thought for sure .46 a mile would be worth the extra hours and it's looking like I'm wrong so I'm mad at myself. Peace.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    I work in the wrong province..lol

4. meslippery

meslippery Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2013
    In some cases you could make more @ mc ds but
    they dont have 16 hour shifts 7 days a week.

5. meslippery

meslippery Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2013
    42 cents in 1995

6. Pinner

Pinner Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2010
    B.C.

I was working for an owner/operator as his driver sharing his truck with a 2 on 2 off shift, so I worked about 15 days for this check...lots of non working hours paid. This was 2012 when the CDN $ was above par.

[​IMG]

not4hire and jerezxp7 Thank this.
  7. jerezxp7

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    Thank you , I have been answered .what I like seeing is that OverTime $$ and then the double time $$$ operating equipment in the oilfields you get used to that then you go back to driving truck and your days are 14-16 hours long and all that is suppose to be compensated in your tarp money and your per mile money it doesn't add up it never adds up. My brother hauling oil in North Dakota 32.50 an hour he will not work for money by the mile and I'm thinking he is right his checks look like the above example. Or Maybe I'm just being a #####.

8. kfzr2

kfzr2 Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Also with an oilfield permit you can work 21 days straight with a 3 day reset. I have an SK permit working in Alberta and you can do the 16 hour days "with 2 hours of breaks" for 21 days if you wanted to. Another reason why oilfield drivers can make so much overtime in a month.

9. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    We have a permit for 24 days on and 4 off.

10. jerezxp7

Apr 4, 2007
    oregon
    I think I'm taking a job in North Dakota that pays me by the hour to bad too I love this job heavy haul is a great truck driving job but whether it's me or the loads I'm getting I'm not making enough money.

11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Pinner,
    that is a pretty impressive check for each month. I mathed it out and it works out to working 315 hours or average 21 hours for 15 days. Do you get time to sleep? While waiting to deliver or load? Not knocking this kind of work just wondering what a typical day is like for this type of job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.