17 freighliner cascadia evolution

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jgij, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jgij

jgij Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    ok I want to get a decent radio setup, of course I have a freightliner which doesn't allow a basic install, so please point me in the direction to a shop that can set me up with good equipment and a clean install

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Mine came with a Cobra, the range from factory was about 400 yards.
    I mounted a Wilson 2000 antenna out back of the sleeper on the grab rail, I drilled a hole behind the panel where the sleeper belts mount on the wall above the bed to run the cable.
    I now have been able to have a confirmed conversation at two miles.
    I just did it myself.

TruckDrivingtn Thanks this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    :D you can still see them but can't even hear them, that's just messed up.

Yeah, defiantly want to avoid the stock coax.

5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    400 yards I would question whether or not there even was an antenna integrated into the cab. Just the other week I hooked up to factory antenna ( 2016 Cascadia ) until I could get some new coax, and going across I 10 in Louisiana early morning I was able to hear a base station about 7 miles away, and talked to another driver ( barely ) about 3 to 4 miles ahead of me, so my guess is thats about as good as it will get.

6. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    I would of stayed hookup to factory antenna and at least try it for one day of driving, but the SWR readings on channel 40, 20, and 1 were between 2.5 and 3.0 and that is just too high, heck I get annoyed if for some reason the SWR goes above a 2.0.

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    My set up is fine according to both my analyzers but cause there is no or very little metal on the cab for signal reflect you dont get range from truck to truck..Now totally different with skip,i get a cpl thou miles all the time...I live in eastern canada and have talked clearly to florida,texas, Georgia and Louisiana...Now if another trucker get more than 5 or so mi away,i get squat...
    I may never find a solution but im tryin and i have had some help from guys here so something will turn up for these plastic trucks.

8. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    That could be their radio and not yours. Most of them out there are junk.

9. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Yep. I gave a guy a radio check yesterday on the circle highway around downtown Indianapolis. He seemed very happy he was reading me at an S9.....from 4 miles away.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  10. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    He was happy that he was receiving you at a S9, or that you received him at a S9? Did you happen to ask what kind of truck he was in and what kind of antenna setup he had. Its my understanding that receive is not affected by lack of ground plane, that would probably explain why I was able to hear a base station 7 miles away but could only talk 3 miles with Cascadia factory antenna.

11. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Im well aware it could be the radio of the other side..So far i have not been chatting to anyone past 5 or so miles truck to truck..Mind you i have talked to a fella who daid he was about 90ish mi away and a base station who was around 30ish away..

bored silly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.