1976 Yuba City School Bus Wreck

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Hick, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    This probably isn't the right section... if not, the mods seems to instinctively know what to do with my posts ;)

I was reading up on the Yuba City bus disaster that happened in 1976. Something about it isn't making any sense. I'm assuming that air brakes commonly used on buses and trucks have been the same basic design for ages and that's probably where my problem comes in.

The bus in this wreck was a 1950 Crown bus. From what I can tell it may have had a gas engine, since one site hinted that Crown didn't switch to diesel until 1954. But it did have air brakes.

The driver was new to this bus and mistook the low air pressure warning light as the low oil pressure light. The low air pressure was caused by a worn compressor belt.

When the pressure dropped, shouldn't the brakes have applied automatically? The light was on and one survivor mentioned that he saw the driver push the brake pedal to the floor 3 times before the wreck, which would have dropped the pressure even more below the red.

The NTSB report on it isn't all the helpful (NTSB-HAR-77-2).

What going on here? Was the compressor working just enough to keep the needle in the 'warning' range and out of the 'pop' range? If so, shouldn't he have had brakes?

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
  4. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    The system you are referring to is the spring brakes. I'm not sure those were available then, but a quick google search isn't turning up much info in the way of the history of the spring brake. They might have been installed but defective or not installed at all.

Hick Thanks this.
  5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    If they had spring brakes or dual chamber pots, they would have locked when the air pressure got below 50 lbs. Obviously the bus didn't. By the way spring brakes and the dual chamber pot are two different types of brake mechanism.

Hick Thanks this.
  6. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    From 393.40
    (e) Emergency brakes, vehicles manufactured on or after July 1, 1973. (1) A bus, truck, truck tractor, or a combination of motor vehicles manufactured on or after July 1, 1973, and not covered under paragraphs (d)(1) or (d)(2) of this section, must have an emergency brake system which consists of emergency features of the service brake system or an emergency system separate from the service brake system. The emergency brake system must meet the applicable requirements of §§ 393.43 and 393.52.

Hick Thanks this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Those busses usually the emergency brake only locked up the drive shaft behind the transmission. The problem with this design (same on a model T Ford) is that if one wheel is on ice or a patch of oil, the brake is non effective.

Hick and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The crash was in Martinez, Ca but the school group were from Yuba City. That bus was an older bus but the school requested it as it had been good for them on other trips. It did not have spring brakes and with the sun shining on the dash the driver did not notice the low air light. He was already on the ramp when he stepped on the brakes and they didn't work. The ramp was "U" shaped and the bus couldn't make the turn rolled off the bridge and landed on the roof. It was after this that the feds began requiring an audible alarm as well as the light.

Hick and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  9. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I was living in Martinez when this accident occurred. Everyone was shocked.

Hick Thanks this.
  10. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    That appears to be what's going on.

The bus had a separate system for the emergency brakes. The NTSB report mentions that if the driver had recognized the problem that he could have applied the emergency brakes manually. I was thinking that current method of the brakes applying automatically had been around well before 1950, but as trucker said, it wasn't available then.

I can't find any info on the setup on that bus specifically. But now that you've mentioned it, I do remember reading about a setup like that. I'll keep trying to find a diagram somewhere on it.

And thanks guys. It had me a bit puzzled.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Here is a pic of the brake on the drive shaft.
    [​IMG]

95821trucker, tucker and Hick Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.