1988 377 with cummins big cam

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by alien4fish, Dec 20, 2008.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I'd replace those small lines that go from the shifter to the trans. they get gunked up over the years. You could check the pressure on them. I forget what they call for right now though and I'm not near a manual.
    get used to that smoke, all the big cams do that.

go find pitsburg powers website. they have lots of technical articles written about big cams. there parts are overpriced but there is lots of info there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

when i finally get that truck in my driveway i will be able start the long process of bringing her back to where she used to be.thats what i was thinkin too about gunk being trapt in those air lines. thanks for the heds up on the website i will be sure to bookmark it and read up on that motor

4. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    Sorry Alien the way you explained that I thought you was trying to run it like a 13spd...lol

Are you talking when you try to go from the high side to the low side it won't drop down real fast? In other words it won't just click into the low side? If so does it have that sound like its trying to find the spot to go in almost like its rolling around in there?

5. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

yeah you know when you're up high range and you flip the blue forward and it shifts up while in the hole then flip the switch back to preselect and then kick the stick out to go the next hole thats when it tumbles around and wont go in to gear i tryed revin it high and just bumpin the throttle and it wont go .......so i had to pull over like a rookieLOL and start over. Now it will "split" up and down while its in the hole and it works that wayjust having a problem when i preselect .........other than that it shifts fine, it does need a clutch brake too i remember that let me know what you think les2 im pretty sure im doin it right but ya never knowLOL

6. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    The blue button should only work in low range. When your in high range that button shouldn't be able to move. Thats where im getting confused here...lol

If your talking splitting low side gears you don't do that with a 15spd.

Wait I think I know what your talking about.....So the deep reduction splitter will split as long as its in gear but when you take it out it just rolls around? If thats the case it can be several things.... the valve is old and wore out, the synchronizers are bad, or just gunked up from sitting. Best way to tell is get the tranny warm and see if it still does it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  7. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    les there is two kinds of 15 speeds. one is the deep reduction like you are talking about an then there is a 15 that splits the top. One has that goofy reversed shift pattern where high gear is up against the dash and the other has a nomal pattern

8. 1989 Pete

1989 Pete "Pine Tree Eater"

Check out this website as well great prices every part you need ........... eprogear.....google that.

9. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    If it has the blue button its a deep reduction. I've never seen a 15spd that split on the top side. I did hear once from a guy who had an old pete with a KTA600 in it that said he had a 20spd in it. I don't know if it was a 2 stick of some sort but they said he had to put it in cause he kept breaking the 15 that he had??

Rumor had it that he was putting 1000hp to the ground?

10. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    The best thing is to get the transmission number off the side of the transmission. Then we can know what you have, and how it must shift.

I have never seen a 15 speed that you split the gears. You select deep reduction, change 1 through 5, next per-select, shift back to 4th, shift to 5th, change range selector, shift 6 through 10.

11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Thats all I've ever seen.

But I do wonder why they never made one with deep reduction, low, and high/OD? That would make a 20spd but would probably be heavy as heck and expensive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.