1988 377 with cummins big cam

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by alien4fish, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 1989 Pete

1989 Pete "Pine Tree Eater"

Allen keep me posted I'll soon be bringing to life a big cam 350 I'm going to reach for maybe about 500hp. It's also an 15 spd

Ive been talking with the guys from pittsburg diesel it seems pretty easy cost a little but will be worth it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. alien4fish

alien4fish Light Load Member

will do 89 pete,
    i think medicineman hit it right on the head, I think its really a 13 speed but they call it a 15and you can run the other 2 gears buts itr not recomended if its the tranny im thinking of coz it would be starting out in low granny and splitting(but on the high side)
    im working the deal right now with the guy, so ................hopefully i can get it home then i will take bunch of pix,
    this
    is sooo much fun
    my 1st truck after all these years of driving for someone else

4. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If it turns out to be a 13 spd, it is more than likely a RTO-12513.

You will have low, 1-2-3-4 pull up splitter on front of shifter, move shifter to where gear 1 was, then repeat patter, splitting as needed. To save fuel, change like a 9 speed, and split only 8th to get into high gear.

With the old style transmission, if you pre-selected before you moved the shifter, it was very easy to get the transmission hung between gears, and having to stop to get going again.

Fuller recommended that you change to the next gear without splitting, then just as you are about to release the clutch, split down, and tap the throttle to match rpms to the transmission. This was a little slower than pre-selecting, but much easier on the transmission, and almost totally eliminated missed gears.

Pre-selection over time would wear the sycronizers out in the splitter, causing problems such as yours when trying to pre-select.

The splitter box is easy, and relatively cheap to rebuild.

rev 1/5 3/7

------------- split gears only in high range

low 2/6 4/8

To pick up an extra lower gear, shift from 3rd straight to the low position instead of 4th. You have to shift the range splitter before you go to the low position. You can now split the low position gear, then shift to the #5 gear position, and split going into that gear.

This will make a big difference when taking off uphill with heavy loads.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    you need to crawl underneath an se what trans you have. get the model of the tag on the passenger side. any knob could have been installed over the years

6. alien4fish

wow thats why i like this site, guys that actually know what im talking about !! and in english!! LOL

7. alien4fish

heres a few pix of me doing what i do best

Attached Files:

• 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      129.2 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      133.2 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      136.3 KB
      Views:
  8. alien4fish

all right folks i took the plunge! i dun screwed up and bought myself a peterbuilt heres a few pix

Attached Files:

9. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    Man.. I have always hated the 377... but that sure is one clean and good looking 88' model you picked up. Best of luck with it bubba.

alien4fish Thanks this.
  10. alien4fish

thanks 379
    the 377 isnt my 1st choice either, however it is STILL a peterbuilt, easy to work on, and the price is right. And it is so my 1st truck i will give it a gamble how can you lose with a peterbuilt??
    i will most likely pull the sleeper off and and put a 2 line wet kit and turn it into a day cab and my son or daughter can run it. itll be good for a newbee to learn in :biggrin_25519:
    Or just put a driver in it ........we will see many options to consider ya know!
    But its a start:biggrin_25526:

11. 1989 Pete

1989 Pete "Pine Tree Eater"

........clean truck bud ..........now go make you some money drivvaaaa!!!!

alien4fish Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.