1991 379 tach and speedometer issues.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by mtmval, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mtmval

mtmval Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I still need help running down my speedometer problem. I replaced the sensor and I checked for continuity in the wires until they disappear into the computer. Beyond that I'm lost. Any way of testing the speedometer unit itself? Swapping one from another truck isn't really an option for me. Also the tachometer is acting up. It was working fine but now when I hit one of the many potholes it goes dead. Smack it and it comes back on. Hit a bridge seam it goes off...hit the other one leaving the bridge, it comes back on. One more thing; the cruise control works, but not beyond 1550ish rpm. Is it governed? and is there any way to change it? Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    I have a 90 that had the same problems with tach and speedo. If you wiggle the wire plug on the back they come back to life if held in the right position. I ended up having to take them out of the dash, very carefuly bend the bezel up on the front and take the glass out. You can then pull th guts out of the case and resolder all the connections on the plug. Then put back together and carefuly bend the bezel back down to hold it all together. I did this about 15 years ago, and never had another problem with it. Hope this helps.

4. Rig Wrench

Rig Wrench Medium Load Member

Dec 24, 2010
    northeast
    had a 93 that would do that, was the plug on the back of the gauges, a bit worn after a million miles. was able to put a couple plastic ties on the plug to hold it better (cob I know) till we took it off the road

5. Sro

Sro Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Got a 99 with a 5 ek that was swapped from a 60 series Detroit. Tachometer won't read but does power up can't figure out my prob

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.