1995 W900L power steering

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by mizjaxon76, Jun 29, 2015.

1. mizjaxon76

mizjaxon76 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Port Huron, MI
    Good morning everyone,
    Ok here is our issue. We had a driver in our truck who said the front end needed to be greased. Well once my old man got in the truck and drove it he was able to tell that it wasn't a lack of grease issue but that it was a steering issue. So he and our mechanic checked the U-joints, they are fine. The gear box was replaced not that long ago. They decided to replace the power steering pump since it was the original. Well after replacing and bleeding the lines there is still a "bubble" that it will fit my hubby when trying to turn and the steering wheel will not turn back on its own. Any thoughts?? We are at a loss and are working the phones with the people we have bought the parts from.
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    if it does not return on its own, usually (1) steer shaft u joint. Remove knuckle from gear box and inspect. (2) bad king pin/bearing. Good luck.

mizjaxon76 Thanks this.
  4. mizjaxon76

Oct 4, 2012
    Port Huron, MI
    Thanks Qualitytruck. The kingpin and bearing have already been checked. As soon as he gets home we are checking the gear box (great for the holiday weekend! lol). I appreciate the feedback.

5. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    When you turn the wheel do you feel any push back before it gets to lock? Had to crack line at ps pump on a 379 to get all the air out.

7. mizjaxon76

Oct 4, 2012
    Port Huron, MI
    We have bled the lines, several times to double check that. It just hits a point, even driving down the road, where it sort of sticks for a minute and then it will go. It doesn't do it at the same position every time. He should be home tomorrow and the gear is next on the list (although that was replaced fairly recently). The u-joints, king pin, bearings are all good so replaced the steering pump and that didn't do it.....ugh

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Jack up the front end and turn the wheel lock to lock, engine off. If resistance is high low high low the slip yoke alignment is wrong. Steering shafts do not always index the same as driveshafts.

9. mizjaxon76

Oct 4, 2012
    Port Huron, MI
    Thank you. I will let him know about that! Your description is exactly what it is doing!!! I really do not want to have to put a new gear box on it at this moment in time!! Everytime I talk to him he likes to say "All the other truck drivers have power steering" I am beyond tired of hearing that one! lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.