1996 Volvo D12 wia

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by aron12, Apr 2, 2015.

1. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    I have a 1996 WIA , it would not start one morning ,(cranks but will not start). Sent it to Gateway volvo for 21 days and a bill of $1370 to check wiring , dWas supposed to run a diagnostic and let me know. I was told that the fuel system needed cleaned, I said ok. After charging me $1370 for wiring check only ,I as told that the ECU may be bad at a cost of 2100 + 1500 to install, then my injectors may all be stuck, I was told the cost would be betwwen $6000 - 10000 dollars more.
    I jerked the truck from volvo in Collinsville IL, I am now researching the issue myself. In the first day I had to reconnect ALL wires that volvo had disconnected and fix a few bad wires. I replaced a bad ignition switch but the truck cranks and cranks but I can not get it started,
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. Volvo also tore up my valve cover gasket ( hanging out the side) and lost a valve cover nut. Real proffesionals there at Gateway Volvo.

Thank you Verey much

icsheeple and HWY-85 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    First thing I would do is check if u can connect to ecm with scan tool and see if you're getting any info like any fault codes or things of this nature if you're not then you're not getting power to even or not getting some ignition feed if all checks out then I would move to checking if there is fuel coming out of the head when you're cranking making sure that you're fuel pump and fuel system is working properly it's got to be either one of these two things I can't imagine it would be something else

4. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    Well I have been through a $2000 dollar ecm , wires and grounds from batteries to dash . I've check for power at the plate to the Eb ecm plug.
    Patched a few wires here and there.
    I'm getting codes , 11, 12, 13 ,14 , 23,24,25 . I not what the codes mean and I believe that 14 maybe causing my other errors.
    have no power to cam sensor , crank sensor ,
    I have power on lines 18a,18b ,196a , but no power on wire 283 . This is from the power relay on the stud plate.
    I am going broke and no matter what I do the codes stay the same. (Codes through diagnostic button ) the check engine light also flashes non stop with key in the on position.

Which I believe means I have a open circuit somewhere.
    Lost broke frustrated . Please help. Txt me at 618. 204. 8637

any my help is appreciated !!!

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Pls tell me what engine is used. May be it is D12A ?

6. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    Yes its a D12A , thanks for the reply
    my email is workteru@yahoo.com also my yahoomessenger id

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    yes, I have diagram, but for EU cabover. Really they share schematics, but wire color codes may differ.

Ok, 12 and 24 V units differ inside. EU ECMs are cheaper. I used to install EU ECUs on US trucks but convertion all electric system to 24V

Other way, pls tell me what brand are injectors. Volvo Used Bosch and Lucas (Delfi). They are not interchangable.

But u can use D12C ECU with VECU on D12A engine. Not easy job to fit all wires and sensors, but it works too,

Tommorow I will send U d12 A diagram

8. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    Di

9. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    I have the diagrams , have no power to half the sensors , on my research it appears relays and sensors have to be operational, it runs power in a specific direction and should have power or no power I between these areas , I'm going to bypass some of the original wiring with new and see if I can get a complete circuit. I'm sure this may be part of my problem, some cooling sensors ect are not connected .
    Thank you

Your opinion and reply are appreciated

10. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    May be, but I used to fix damaged ECUs too. Generally with pressure, when someone tries to prime engine with air pressure in tank) LOL

11. aron12

aron12 Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Centralia , il
    It's a brand new volvo programmed to my vin $2000 ecm

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.