1998 379 clutch linkage

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by tmslogistics, Jun 30, 2015.

1. tmslogistics

tmslogistics Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2015
    This morning, I noticed that my clutch linkage, where it goes into the bell housing is vibrating very badly. it's so bad I can feel it in my feet going down the road and I can hear the linkage rattling.

How big of a deal is this?

How big of a repair?

Thanks for your help,
    Toby

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Once years ago my clutch was vibrating, the boss road with me for about a mile, saying all is well. All was not well. At Big Springs, Texas the clutch went out, a shop there put a new one in. Boss tried to blame me for breaking down on the open road yet he was the one who sent me on with a vibrating clutch.

tmslogistics Thanks this.
  4. tmslogistics

Mar 10, 2015
    Truck is in the shop. Where the clutch linkage and rod goes into the bell housing, there are bushings. Mine were worn out/gone. Had to pull tranny to replace. So.....having the shifter bushing replaced, new heavy duty easy pedal clutch, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch linkage bushings, forks, fork rod, rear main seal.....the whole shabang.

I was there under the truck observing.....he had the tranny out in 35 minutes. Clutch was pretty well gone, marbles missing out of the pilot bearing, worn out forks, worn out fork rod. Tranny seems to be in good shape. No metal on the magnetic plug.

Sounds like I'm going to have to learn how to drive it again!!

5. Klleetrucking

Klleetrucking Medium Load Member

Dec 11, 2010
    S.C.
    ^^^ Good move^^^ replacing all those components. The labor is already there with pulling the trans so while you have access to everything replacing that stuff is smart. I hope your tech/mech examined the input shaft on the trans., again, it's right there. I'm talking out of school now, back in the day, we changed the input shaft if it showed any kind of wear.
    Having that trans out in 35 minutes is impressive.

6. tmslogistics

Mar 10, 2015
    He took a look at the input shaft....all is well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.