1998 Peterbilt 379EXHD with Caterpillar 3406E, 550hp

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by inkscale, May 31, 2016.

1. inkscale

inkscale Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Hi,
    I am considering this truck as my first truck as an owner operator. I don't have much experience with a wrench.This parricular truck seems well maintained, owner replaced transmission and rears 2 years ago. Engine has 800k original miles. I am aware of possibility of upcoming overhaul. I'd rather do it myself then buy a pre 2000 truck that already had it done.

The reasons why I want this truck is that it is a pre 2000 and pre emission bs truck. Which will definitely save me some repairs and definitely I'd be able to avoid the most expensive ones, involving the DPF on newer trucks. Anyway, anybody who knows a bit about what I'm talking about will know my point.

The question is to people who own/owned or worked on these older peterbilts 379. I know it's a little bit of a lottery to get one, but just from your experience, have those trucks given their owners many headaches? Do they break often, how reliable are they in general? What is the accessibility for parts? How do mechanics feel about working on them?

Overall, just your experience with them, if you have ever come in touch with them.
    Appreciate all the opinions I could get in this matter.

Trying to get as much info as I can before taking the plunge.

Thank you guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ClineER

ClineER Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    N.E. Oklahoma
    From a mechanics standpoint, they are one of the easiest trucks to work on. Solid built cabs that last. I have seen relatively few electric problems with the trucks. Sounds like most of powertrain has been rebuilt, so check suspension over and you know you may have overhaul in future, who knows you may get couple of 100,000 miles more out of motor. I would definitely recommend this style truck.

inkscale Thanks this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Same here..Pre-Emission And Very easy to work on, Probably do the inframe yourself if you have the Tools And the Time.

Anything pre-2003 is easy and Fun to work on, I'll go 1 further and If I get another truck..It'll be a Pre 1993 truck. (Pre-Electronic-Manual Slacks-No ABS).. Then, Its even easier yet.

inkscale Thanks this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    So she is almost old enough to join the army. Have you checked on leasing a truck of the age on? If you are not very mechanical paying a third party a 100 bucks or so for a prepurchase inspection is cheep. Most of them were very good if you were not spotting trailers all day.

inkscale Thanks this.
  6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    They are a mechanics favorite, especially if he is on flat rate. The fuse boxes are bad to get corroded behind them due to windshield, and cab lights leaking. Keep in mind I'm not picking on it just giving you places to look is all. From there you have to decide if its a deal breaker or bargaining chip.
    Look at the frame for rust or pitting. If its been up north much the rails may be getting thin. If the frame looks fresh undercoated beware. If its fresh painted be leery but its easier to see.

inkscale Thanks this.
  7. prerunner404

prerunner404 Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    lake havasu city az
    I have a 97 379exhd with 2.3 million miles on her. Bought it last summer with a blown motor. I replaced the motor with a good take out and shes been running good ever since. With my truck ive been replacing bushings on the cab suspension ect as they are just wear items but easy to replace. Ive also done a few upgrades along the way but over all with those miles on the clock shes as solid as can be and id drive her anywhere is the us with out hesitation.

inkscale Thanks this.
  8. inkscale

inkscale Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2015
    HI!
    Actually I was test driving this truck today and it seems super solid. They will be doing oil analysis for me this week and the AC didn't work, so I have to address it somehow, they said they'd probably just drop the price cause they have no way to work on it.
    Following my test drive there is a thing that comes to mind.. The truck feels huuuge, even driving the tractor itself... I will be driving 53' flatbed with spread axles.. so
    Is your wheelbase 260"?
    Have you driven this truck in the east? I mean have you gone to tight cities like New York / Boston etc. If you have, what is your experience with the longer wheelbase? I mean I only drove freightliners and Volvos with like a 240" wheelbase max. Just curious how noticeable is the difference?
    Thank you for help.

9. prerunner404

prerunner404 Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2011
    lake havasu city az
    My truck has a 265" wheel base and im out west in Arizona. I dont ever get into the east coast tight street cities nor do i want to. Id say plan your routes accordingly to avoid trouble. I pull a 48' spread axle flatbed. Yes there a big truck but nothing some seat time wont cure of them feeling big ect.

inkscale Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.