2 Car hauler question

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Carey, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Carey

Carey Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2015
    I'm a retired trucker wanting to get into Hot Shot auto hauling. I know I need a 3 car or more to make better money but this rig is paid for. It's a 36 ft. flat bed goose neck car trailer. Is there any company I could lease on with and later maybe update to a bigger rig and get my own rights? My truck is tagged for 26k or less but I do have a class A CDL. I live in Ga. about an hour or so from Atlanta. Would love to run the southeast but open to anything. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Bennet Motor Express does or did haul John Deere's out of Grove Town Ga.
    I used to pick up some voluntary turn in and bankruptcy equipment for a repo company. That paid well but sometimes had to be able to deal with stuff the won't run, has flats, etc. The work was speratic and they always wanted it now. Then don't want to pay anything when they did not do their job and nothing is there to P/U.
    Some local flat bed people I know do OK hauling round bale hay or cotton this time of year. Maybe ask your county extension agent for people to check with.
    You may have to search for work for that size truck. If you are dealing on an individual, one time basis, get the money before you unload the trailer. Watch out for people that say it's no problem. It is not a problem for them when you have to back up a mile.
    There are some big auto auction's around Atlanta but I only saw starvation wages offered.

heyns57 Thanks this.
  4. Carey

Carey Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Thanks I worked for them about 12 years back pulling a step deck great people.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You might call Jones Motor Express. They used to have a hotshot division. To be honest, you may find it difficult to make much with a 2 car trailer. I would check with local dealers and perhaps attend some of the auto auctions. There are auctions in Atlanta, Chattanooga and some other areas within a 100 mile radius or so from Atlanta.

6. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    There is not enough money to be made with a 2 car in any scenario, much less with a company taking 10-25%. You're better off selling that paid off truck and trailer and buying a proper money making setup with that money(at least a good down payment). On top of that this is a horrible time to start a business if you don't have regular customers. I don't see how the loadboard crowd is even surviving right now its so bad(actually I know they're not by all the rigs for sale on CD right now lol)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.