2 questions.... comdata and tire chains

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by skman, Oct 5, 2015.

1. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Hey everyone....i've got a couple questions that I could use help with.

1. I pull some Landstar loads a few times a month and they pay me on the Landstar Savings Plus Card (Comdata). When I got my package, I received some cheques with it. I've got some money on the card that I want to put into my bank account so I called my Credit Union about using a Comcheck and they've never heard of it. I also have a business account at Royal Bank but I havent talked to them yet.

I'd love to be able to register my bank account with Comdata so I could just transfer funds from my card to my account...but when I called to talk to someone at Comdata...she was pretty rude and told me to talk to Landstar about it. I told her Landstar won't do EFT to a Canadian bank to pay me....thats why they pay me on the card. But she either didn't understand me or was just having a bad day.

Anyway, what is my best option (that won't cost me a fortune in fees) to get money off my card? I let it build up before taking it out so it won't be for a few hundred at a time. Say 2-3000 at a time?

2. I've been driving in Sask and Northern Alberta for years. Only ever needed to throw chains once (few years ago) because I was stuck with a loaded super B tanker on an inclined parking lot.
    But now that I'm long hauling with my own truck and with chain laws in effect....I need to buy some. I was thinking a set of triples for one drive axle and a set of singles for the other. Also, a set for a trailer axle and an extra set for spare.
    Any certain type I should get? I've seen v-bar, square chain and twisted chain. Also, wheres a decent priced place to buy them? I make it into North Dakota and South Dakota quite a bit but with the exchange...its probably cheaper to buy in Canada anyway.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    skman Thanks this.
  4. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    The comdata checks work fine. Just deposit into your account like a normal check. Doesn't matter if the bank heard about them or not. They will take it.

skman Thanks this.
  5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I don't use the Comdata card anymore but if I remember correctly you can call the number on the back of the card then select transfer money. You type in your bank routing number and the amount and I think it happens by the next day. I use to do that all the time.

6. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Not sure of what kind of places you go, but for myself, pulling a super b, I carry only singles. I find I am way more motivated to stop and throw a set on, than if they were heavy triples. Takes maybe 5 minutes to whip on a set, and gets me out of most binds. Odd time I put on 4 singles. Maybe a steering chain too, again depending on circumstances. Great to carry the triples, but I bet you'll find you'll put the singles on first. Some only have 2 cam tighteners, I'd look for ones with 4, as far as studs or v-bar, your preference. Greg Distributors, and Fort Garry often have pretty good deals going.

skman Thanks this.
  7. Pinner

Pinner Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2010
    B.C.
    Square link chains work a lot better than Tryggs on pavement, get the big ones.

I wouldn't bother with singles, I know in BC you're not allowed to only chain two tires on an axle. Maybe Alberta too ???

It only takes an extra minute to put triples on and you have twice the traction...

I

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    ^^^ this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.