2000 379 starter (maybe?)

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by DocHoof, Jun 4, 2015.

1. DocHoof

DocHoof Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Here's what I got...Yesterday, pulled into a truck stop and shut the truck off while I ran in to pee. Came back out, key turned on, lights, gauges and warning lights all came on. Hit the start button, and notta. Checked the fuses in the kick panel, nothing blown. Looked at the relay, seems OK. Ohm meter across the normally open circuit as it shows on the relay diagram, so it's not stuck. Checked the wiring pigtail to the switch from the solenoid, nothing appears abnormal so far as post appearance or corrosion. Tried it again, and it fired up. Then on to today...
    I stalled the truck at a light and immediately pushed the start button and got nothing. Now I'm sitting in the middle of the road and unable to start the truck. Pulled the same exact wire apart I checked yesterday and tried it again. Nothing. Pulled the relay back apart, nothing. Except this time, I noticed the wires in and out of the relay were hotter than I remember from yesterday and so was the relay. I also checked the pigtail going to the relay from the starter, those were stupid hot. Starter itself was not hot, so I tapped on it a few times to 1, make myself feel better by hitting something and 2. It's what Peterbilt told me to try. Still nothing. Pulled the dash out to see if maybe there was a loose wire in the dash, nothing I could see. All battery terminals are tight, all wires into the starter and solenoid are tight. And then the cop shows up and says he is going to have to get me a tow truck or I have to get it started. So, I get towed to the shop and I'm sitting here bored and decided to try the starter for fecal matter (it won't let me type the "S" word) and giggles...The #### thing started right up, no dragging or noises from the starter. And I have now started it 10 times with no hesitation in any attempt.
    So, I'm leaning to the idea that the relay wiring is the culprit. Which explains why it's getting hot. Maybe a fusible link wire? Mind you, I am a licensed journeyman electrician, but not a mechanical 12v genius by any means. I get the common concept of a 12v system, but the starter relay wiring getting hot has me baffled. Anyone have any suggestion on what to look for and where to start (no pun intended)?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Had the same problem years ago,,It was a loose connection at the starter,,could also be a bad selenoid

4. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Why didn't you try jumping the starter. If it started would eliminate the solenoid and starter. Did I forget your not a mechanic. Good Luck

5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Need to check all connections,sounds like a broken wire with enough strands to fire. That would also cause the hot wires.

6. Its a peterbilt thing. Have you had your ignition switch checked. They are pron to die or have dead spot. Or if you a lucky driver to have a driverside windshield leak. The water leaks right down to the backside of the switch.

7. DocHoof

DocHoof Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Well, it is most definitely the starter. Sometimes, the starter will only click, but if you keep tapping the start button, it will eventually turn. Other times it will turn, but only once like a low battery (batteries show 12.5vdc). Let off the button and try again and it turns like it should. Guess I'll be waiting to get the truck home and pull it myself to get it rebuilt... Anyone know a good place for starter rebuilds in Ft Worth?

8. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Before you pull the starter, use an Amp-Clamp meter and check the draw at the starter and solenoid.. It may be the contacts in the solenoid or the main feed to the starter circuit...

... Philip

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  9. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    A solenoid is nothing but a relay. If it comes apart file or sand where it makes contact. If you jump or by pass the solenoid and the starter works fine its just the solenoid or connections.

10. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Hit the starter with a hammer a couple of times and see what happens. Should start right up if it's going bad

11. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Smashing the starter with a heavy object is only helpful if you have a hung bush or a worn bushing(stator sticking to electromagnet.....

Of course it will feed your EGO!

.... Philip

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.