2000 century steering shaft

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by scott snyder, Aug 16, 2015.

1. scott snyder

scott snyder Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    i have a 2000 freightliner century class. the steering shaft is frozen and will hardly extend causing the gearbox to leak at times. is there a way i can take it apart and lube it?
    [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Your pics didn't show up. Are you talking about the shaft between the steering wheel and the steering box? If so there should be a slip yoke that you should be able to take apart. Most shafts I've seen have a grease fitting on them for lubrication. If you pull it apart, it is critical to clearly mark every piece you take apart so that they spline back together in the correct orientation. Don't spin the steering wheel with the shaft out as it can damage the electrical components if you have a smart wheel or airbag if it gets turned too many times.

4. scott snyder

scott snyder Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2015
    yes it is the shaft beween the gearbox and the wheel. for some reason it doesnt have a grease fitting. I started to take it apart but it became very hard and i wasnt sure if it came apart

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Some had a hi/tec plastic liner coating to let shaft slide that was to last forever, just dont take it apart under a load in case you have to chase parts?

6. Big Nassty

Big Nassty Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2015
    north mississippi
    I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a simular issue. I cant get the steering shaft to compress enough to get the end off of the gear box. How would you attempt to unstick it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.