2000 freightliner auto shift not revving up over 1600, no shift

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by jstv, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jstv

jstv Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    I have a 2000 freightliner century class, started only revving to 1600rpm, won't up shift- stays in 2nd. when you start it up, i can rev it up normally, then it will drop down to 1600, and top out there. (in neutral, in reverse, in drive.) what is going on??

took ecm and had it tested, they said was good.
    cleaned ecm connections

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    pull all tranny fault codes (MID 130)

what shaker? with dashboard computer ore with brainless dashboard?

4. jstv

jstv Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    HOW DO I PULL CODES?
    what is the shaker? It has Eaton-fuller Trans, auto shift w/clutch - does have dash computer, i think . . it's got the buttons to record events, ect. By the way what is the purpose/how do these work?

Did some more diagnosing yesterday, found speedometer not moving, going to try replacing VSS. (speed sensor on tail of TRANS.)

Somthing else too: when you start the truck, as i'd mentioned in first post, you can revv the engine up to about 2000rpm, then in about 20-30sec it will cut it down to 1600rpm. Thinking that the lower RPMs was why it wasn't shifting, i started it real quick, and got it in gear, gunnning it to see if it would shift before the RPMs cut down. It didn' really want to shift even then,acted like it didn't know when to shift, had to pulse the accelerator to get it to lock in.

Is it normal to be able to start off in all the gears? I is letting me select up to 6th gear, and letting off the clutch, will engage in that gear.

5. jstv

jstv Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Ok, Replaced the VSS . . still not working. I ended up pulling the batt. cables to reset the codes, it actually shifted and revved just fine for aprox. 5min, then the check engine light came on, followed by the wheel spin light. . . no shift again, no speedometer, no revv over 1600. (did this several times, got the same resultes each time)

Help!!

6. DMil

DMil Bobtail Member

May 1, 2013
    I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same exact issue with my truck(same truck and transmission). What ended up being the problem and how did you remedy it? Thanks in advance!

7. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    He hasn't been back since he posted in this thread...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.